News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track type; which is better?

Started by lameracer40, April 05, 2013, 09:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Code 83, 100, 70, 55, and 40 are, in my opinion, all in the eyes of the beholder.  As I said before, whatever floats your boat will make you happy-if you do it correctly.  For many years, code 100 and fibre ties were the go-to equipment-state of the art, if you will-and people liked it.  Now, of course, ther are several choices of commercially available rail, and again, it is the individual's choice..  yours is the choice you make to make you happy.  It's your jing.
Rich C. 

jbrock27

RichieC, you do know that "a sucker born every minute" was my answer to your question about what PT Barnum said, right?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

jb-

I don't know that "liking" has much to do with it. It's more like what seems
to operate most reliably and what gives the most prototypical appearance,
if that's a consideration. Hopefully, they are the same.
                                                                                 -- D

jbrock27

Right now Doc, I like Code 100 just fine.
Maybe next month I'll decide I like Code 83.
Right now, I like DC just fine.
Maybe next month I'll decide I like DCC.
Liking has everything to do with it.

This year, I like ARMY'S chances of beating NAVY in lacrosse. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 14, 2013, 10:34:56 PM

jb-

As an old sailor I have to say, "not a chance."

-- D

rbryce1

Quote from: Doneldon on April 14, 2013, 11:36:07 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on April 14, 2013, 10:34:56 PM

jb-

As an old sailor I have to say, "not a chance."

-- D

As a retired submarine sailor, I agree with --D!

lameracer40

As an ex Army recon grunt, I like the way JB thinks

jbrock27

We'll see you squids!!
Mark your calendar....whoops, wait a minute, I found the game had already happened (4/13/13)-I truly did not know this when I posted this last night.
Anyway, ARMY won this year's installment, 14-7 over NAVY.  A thrashing!!
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

JBROCK. 
Hi guy; Yeah I did notice; you won the fish, you know.
How is the layout progressing?  I am progressing in a goodly manner, but oh, those CV turnout kits!  Ya gotta be extra careful.  They are beauties to behold, but ...
Otherwise, I like working with code 70.  It is going where the "museum quality" parts of the layout are. (ha ha).  I have all the time now that I am not working so much antymore-sort of semi-retired...sort of...
Rich C. 

Jerrys HO

and you guy's complain when someone hijacks a thread?

Oh by the way... If you play ND you'll lose. ;D

Jerry

jbrock27

I was talking about lacrosse Jerrry; but Notre Dame is overated in that too ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Rich, have not ripped up the old layout yet, but have been purchasing some nickel silver track to use in part (all Code 100 of course) of the new one.  Also bought some Atlas bridge piers to replace the AHM trestles I have found too fragile.  Too bad I am going to start over bc everything seems to run well on the track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

if everything runs well why are you starting over? if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Fair question JW.
It is because of looks and I want to had another 2ft of area, do the scenery up right etc.  Thanks again for the tip on the Atlas piers, bc I just bought some for the revamp.  Trust me, I am no hurry to do it  tomorrow.   Will continue to have some fun with what is there, then take on the new project.  What I have now, is mostly what I put together when I was like, 10 years old.  I am also going to integrate some nickel silver track that everyone raves about, along with some 22R curves and road bed, ballast.  Right now, no roadbed and an original poor choice of using particle board.  You see no pictures bc except for how the trains run on the track, it would be an embarrassement to me.  I have done a lot of learning though and that is cool ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

lameracer40

Ok guys, track is down and went with code 100 and the layout looks decent. Left a couple of stops on 2 runs for future additions but here is another problem. I have an '80's model gp 40 diesel and motor wise it works great and in great shape. However, the rubber bands on the drive wheels are worn out and can't seem to find replacements since all the newer engines are different drives and trucks all together. Any suggestions?