News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC with Z-Scale

Started by hugalex, April 08, 2013, 05:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugalex

Can I use the E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System with my small desk top Z scale board?  It is currently wired for a Marklin Mini-Club power pack.  Thank you Alex

richg

I would not try it.

The DCC signal from the EZ Command is about 12 volts AC. That is plus/minus 12 volts continuously.. The DC option send pulses to the motor and the pulse width is adjusted for slower or faster speed.
The motor will see the AC and DC, simultaneously. You can vary the DC but not the DCC. The motor would be damaged by the AC signal. Even HO locos, the motor buzzes because of the AC signal and some motors do get damaged by the heat.
I looked up the Marklin power pack and it is 10 volts, max.

Below is a link that shows what is happening.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

Rich

Doneldon

hug-

One cannot dispute the quality of Marklin's trains but it must be added that Marklin is a closed corporation. It
is very difficult to use non-Marklin products with Marklin trains, and essentially impossible when it comes to
electronics.
                       -- D

hugalex

Thank you all for your responses.  I noticed last night that Digitax makes a voltage reducer that reduces voltage by 4 to 6 volts at 3amps for safer Z loco operation.  Does anyone know about this?  Have any experience with it?  Thanks, Alex

Nathan

NCE on their Power Pro line of boosters allows you to adjust the output voltage.

Nathan

bapguy

The Digitrax voltage reducer is for use with their DCC systems only. Joe

hugalex