News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

will this work

Started by coupman35, April 09, 2013, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coupman35

Was looking at this MRC HO 1909 16-Bit Diesel Sounder, like to no if it will work in any if the Bachmann dc loco Am just running dc no dcc .Will this work whit a ez comander

richg

Quote from: coupman35 on April 09, 2013, 03:53:57 PM
Was looking at this MRC HO 1909 16-Bit Diesel Sounder, like to know if it will work in any of the Bachmann dc locos?  Am just running dc no dcc. Will this work whit a EZ Command?

It will work depending on how much room you have for the decoder and speaker. This will all depend on your loco modification experience. Forget plug and play.
The EZ Command will not allow you to change any CV's. Some of the sounds will work on DC, though.

The EZ Command will allow you to run on DCC or DC but better on DCC.

Rich

coupman35

Thanks for the reply I have a few old loco the one whit the flat motor in the back there is lot of room in them. It look like there is only 2 wire to connect on them .CVs what that am new at this what will I need to change them.

WTierce1

You need to install a full DCC decoder with sound which in your place, I would use an MRC full sound and DCC decoder because the Sounder has no DCC capabilities when it come to operating a train. If you are going to get an EZ Command, DO NOT ONLY INSTALL THE SOUNDER. You need the Motor DCC decoder in order for a DCC controller to even be worth getting.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

coupman35

Am still new at this so am learning as I go ,So id need something like this MRC 1716 PREFERRED SOUND HO DECODER: 16-BIT UNIVERSAL EMD 567 right thanks for the info

jward

What engine are you trying to  put this into? the emd 567 may not be appropriate.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

If the loco has the white plastic case around the motor, it may not be worth it. Sounds like the pickups are one one end only. You really need pickups on all wheels.
The two motor leads have to be isolated from the frame.

Rich

Doneldon

coup-

I hate to be a wet blanket but there are a few cautions about this project. First, this won't be an easy, drop-in install. Converting this loco to DCC and sound will be a real challenge, especially if you haven't done DCC installs in the past. Second, I'm not so sure that this loco with its plastic-case motor and single-truck drive justifies the cost, labor and time it will require. You can put all of that effort and cash into this loco and you'll still only have a mediocre unit. Third, the fact that you're considering such an ambitious job makes me think you are a person who likes to tinker. That makes me wonder if an EZ Command is the right DCC command station for you. The EZ Command doesn't allow you to control more than ten locos and its limited power won't allow you to run more than a couple of sound locos at a time. It can't actually program decoders, nor can it read CVs. I believe you will be much happier with the Dynamis or another manufacturer's entry-level system.

Nevertheless, good luck if you go ahead with this job. And keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                                                               -- D

coupman35

Thanks guy I have over 10 locos am shure that one of them can be a easy convert , I am learning and love to play whit this and just trying to get some sound whit the track whit out going full dcc.But it looks like it not that easy .

richg

With non DCC ready, it generally will not be easy. You really need to fully describe which loco you might want to modify.
Again, get a Photo Bucket account and post some photos.

The below fellow use to own a DCC company and is very active with DCC.

You really need to do a lot of reading.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/

Rich

Doneldon

coup-

If you don't intend to go with DCC but are mainly interested in sound, there are locos and decoders which will allow you to use DC for speed and direction yet you can still have many sounds and even control some of them. Some sounds will be automatic on DC but you'll be able to control bell and horn/whistle. Several manufacturers make small boxes (about the size of a package of cigarettes or as large as a paperback book) which will give you control over more sounds.
                        -- D

coupman35

Quote from: Doneldon on April 10, 2013, 12:52:08 AM
coup-

If you don't intend to go with DCC but are mainly interested in sound, there are locos and decoders which will allow you to use DC for speed and direction yet you can still have many sounds and even control some of them. Some sounds will be automatic on DC but you'll be able to control bell and horn/whistle. Several manufacturers make small boxes (about the size of a package of cigarettes or as large as a paperback book) which will give you control over more sounds.
                        -- D

This is what am trying to get Now I need to find what parts to get any info and thanks guy am getting some where

richg

Quote from: coupman35 on April 10, 2013, 05:48:20 PM
here are some of the loco id like to get sound on them, There are Bachmann .

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/coupman35/bth_loco013_zpscd6cebce.jpg?t=1365631992
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/coupman35/bth_loco007_zpsf98b15ed.jpg?t=1365631802
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/coupman35/bth_loco005_zpsf40e2826.jpg?t=1365631664
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y494/coupman35/bth_loco001_zps22d80db6.jpg?t=1365631528

None of the links worked for me.. If you copy and paste the link labeled, IMG. The photo will show up here right away.

SOP is to check your posting, first to make sure the photos show up.

All you have to do is, Modify your message with the IMG links and then I will remove my message. Not a big deal. Notice in the messages, Quote, Modify, Delete.

Rich