Main Menu

will this work

Started by coupman35, April 09, 2013, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coupman35

Well I got some to work am getting the trick to this lol

Doneldon

coup-

Here are a couple of units which operate sounds on DC. I think Atlas still has one and there may be others. MRC has a new product coming out which will run locomotives with what I think is RF but it looks like there will only be two frequencies so I'm not sure just what value it will really offer.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli-1011dcmasteranalogcontrolmodule.aspx
http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=8267
https://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200486109
                                                                                                  -- D

coupman35

So do you think that any of this locos can be added a sound decoder to work just with dc and a sound controller.

Doneldon

coup-

The issue is not whether you can put sound in any of your locomotives. You can; any loco can be made to have sound, DCC or both. The real question is whether the work and expense involved are justified by the unenhanced loco or the final product.

And there is a subjective component of that. Just any old loco that doesn't run so well to begin with and lacks the level of detail which modern models have can become DCC and sound. In most cases, however, it would be a waste of time and money. Nevertheless, you might want to go ahead with an "ill-advised" conversion if the loco has sentimental value for you. Maybe it's the first loco you had when your children were still young and it brings back fond memories. Or maybe you were the kid when the loco came into the home and you and your Dad used to play with it.

Only you can decide where you come down with that component tossed into the mix.
                                                                                                                                -- D

coupman35

Well all of them loco mean nothing to me so id like to do some add sound to them.Which one of the loco I have will be the easy one to do.Am what decoder will I need am going to go whit better brand am shirr that MRC are good for what id like .

richg

Quote from: coupman35 on April 11, 2013, 06:53:46 PM
Well all of them locos mean nothing to me so I would like to do some add sound to them. Which one of the loco I have will be the easy one to do. And what decoder will I need am going to go with better. I sure that MRC are good for what I would like .
[/quote

First of all. How much current does each loco draw at 12 vdc. Most sound decoders are 1 amp max. You better get the newest MRC decoders. The past few years, we have read of many, many having a lot of trouble with MRC decoders.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it to measure DC current. I think I mentioned that before but do not remember you saying anything.
Figure at least $50.00 for a speaker and decoder. Many much better decoders can cost up to $130.00 each.
You realize you have to make sure the two motor contacts have no connections to the pickups or motor frames if the motors pickup directly from the frame halves. Some Bachmann locos are like that.
I belong to a bunch of train forums and some have blown decoders before because they did not check the loco motor closely.
Some were like kids and want to run the loco as soon as they put the decoder in and did not tape over unused decoder wires which touched a rail and smoked the decoder.

Right now I am suspicious of your experience with DCC. How many decoders can you afford to blow? Sorry to be so blunt but I have read of many blown decoders. It can be really discouraging for new users of DCC.

Rich

coupman35

Ok am not shirr what to do for now am going to get just a sound box like the MRC 77 or something like that .I never made a decorder set up yet I saw a few on you tube am ok whit the use a volt meter I can solder to. It  looks like it almos  cheaper to get a train whit sound decoder in it.I will get back to you and thanks for the help an info .