News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heisler Prototype?

Started by RRPETE, April 13, 2013, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRPETE

What prototype was used for the Stearns Heisler?

Thanks.

richg

Quote from: RRPETE on April 13, 2013, 08:47:55 AM
What prototype was used for the Stearns Heisler?

Thanks.

I found this in a Internet search for bachmann stearns heisler prototype. Very easy to do.

http://www.micromark.com/bachmann-spectrum-on30-14-ton-2-truck-stearns-heisler-paintedandunlettered-black,10152.html

Rich

RRPETE

Thanks for your tip, Rich. I was hoping for a little more detail, though.

This model appears to have a vertical boiler inside the cab, but I haven't seen any pictures of other Heislers configured that way. That might explain why there's no steam dome, but also makes me wonder why there's no boiler vent in the cab roof. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

Hamish K

Link as posted in my reply above only shows photo, this (the page before) gives a little information.

http://www.gearedsteam.com/heisler/images_Sp-Sz.htm

Hamish

railtwister

Quote from: RRPETE on April 13, 2013, 04:27:12 PM
Thanks for your tip, Rich. I was hoping for a little more detail, though.

This model appears to have a vertical boiler inside the cab, but I haven't seen any pictures of other Heislers configured that way. That might explain why there's no steam dome, but also makes me wonder why there's no boiler vent in the cab roof. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

What would a boiler vent in the cab roof look like?

Here's something else to wonder about; how did they put water in the tank part of the bunker? Most pictures show a water hatch on the back deck, but this is not seen on the model.

Bill in FtL

RRPETE

Thanks for the photo and detail reference, Hamish. Also, good question about water, Railtwister. I'd think with the boiler in the cab, there would be a way to vent a pop-off valve through the roof.

The Bachman model is almost a dead ringer for the A. W. Stevens Lumber #1. Other than the curvature of the running boards, and the length of the bridge pipe between the steam feeder pipes, I don't see much difference.

Skarloey Railway

boiler in the cab?

Are people confusing a vertical boiler, as used on the early climaxes with a T boiler, as on the B'mann on30 shay?

railexpert

Hello,

at the model it looks like a vertikal boiler in the cab. There is the motor in it.

Railexpert

Royce Wilson

I am no expert on the Heisler and since no one has offered any explanation.I think the steam dome is in the cab.

Another question was ask about how to water up the beast. Most small logging engines burned either cut wood or slab wood from the mill and it was piled high,just look at any of the Sumpter Valley engines.
The wood was piled on top the water hatch since wood burns at a faster rate than coal.
The stack on the Stearns Heisler looks to be a wood stack anyway and the fence around the tender indicates it was shipped for wood burning.

My two cents
Royce

RRPETE

Thanks, Royce.  I'd think a vertical boiler is its own steam dome, right? I think that's a good possibility for the lack of a water hatch. Also makes it more of a shame that Bachmann has quit including the firewood loads they used to. Now I have to make my own and glue them over the coal. Oh, well, that's what modeling is supposed to be about anyway, I guess. At least, the real wood looks better than what Bachmann used to supply.

Royce Wilson

I have not seen the Stearns yet,I have one on order.I make my own wood loads as they look 100% better,just remember to rough up the wood and use stain and just experiment with it.
The tender has a water hatch just like any other steamer,the wood load would cover it.

Royce

Skarloey Railway

Just to clarify: a vertical boiler has the firebox at the bottom, the boiler vertically above the firebox and the smokebox on top of that. This is an example of a vertical boiler locomotive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaloner_(locomotive)

If you look at B'mann's On30 shay you'll see that like the Heisler it has no steam 'dome'.

railexpert

Hello,

just to clarify:
We all speak about the vertical part of a "T" Boiler  - not about a vertical boiler of a Welsh loco.

Railexpert      ::)

ebtnut

The model represents a T-boiler style design, common for that time period.  With a T boiler, the top of the "T" acts as the steam dome.  Note in the photo of the prototype that the whistle and pops are ahead of the cab.  It appears that they are mounted on the steam feed pipe from the boiler with a tee to feed both cylinders.  Thus, no need for a cab top vent.  Also, a lot of logging locomotives would syphon water direct from a pond or creek, either with an attachment to one of the injectors or with a separate syphon unit.  The locos at Cass syphon water from a lineside tank car body on the way up to the top of Bald Knob.  The tank car is fed by a stream flowing down the hillside.