Drop in sound boards from soundtraxx for existing williams engines

Started by DLW Pete, April 23, 2013, 02:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLW Pete

Ask the Bach-Man,

Please say you will be selling drop in sound boards for all of the existing williams engines out there. I saw a video on youtube with the GP30 and would really like sound in my 6 diesels & GG1. I gave up buying command engines and will now only buy WBB engines, I don't want command control, just sound.  ;D

phillyreading

You may have to wait a while if you want the new sound board from Bachmann for the Williams GP-30's.
The older True Blast 2 kits are still available for sale and for right now that might be all that WBB is going to offer until a year or more from now.

Lee F.

Srcjo

I was wondering if you had a older Williams Diesel that you have wired the motors in series.
How would this effect the Soundtraxx sounds? like the steps in the prime mover sounds.
for example a loco that is stock starts moving around 6 volts. a modified unit with the motors wired
in series starts to move around 8 volts.
Would the higher volts cause the rev to be higher?

phillyreading

Quote from: Srcjo on July 27, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
I was wondering if you had a older Williams Diesel that you have wired the motors in series.
How would this effect the Soundtraxx sounds? like the steps in the prime mover sounds.
for example a loco that is stock starts moving around 6 volts. a modified unit with the motors wired
in series starts to move around 8 volts.
Would the higher volts cause the rev to be higher?

That should cause the revving sounds to be higher because of the higher voltage.

My question about wiring motors in series, is why? I could wire it in series, no problem for me with that. I have no need for a super slow snail!
Every Williams I have works great with the transformer I am using, most of the time I double head powered units by Williams as I need more power to pull a train.
I have some of the older Williams F-7's in the Crown Edition.

Lee F.

Hi Srcjo,

671 here. I think I have an answer to your question. If your sound system's motor rev sound is controlled strictly by voltage increase and decrease within a given voltage range, the solution is fairly simple.
         In a series circuit with two equal resistors, the voltage drop across these resisters is equal. For example using your voltage numbers the voltage is split between the two motors equally. Each 'SEES' ( consumes) 4 volts. Diagram below:
8 volt source..>>.......www..>......www...>>.. to ground. (www represent motor windings)
                           ^              ^
                         +8v.          +4v
         Tapping your voltage sensor after the first motor but before the second motor will yield a halving of the original input voltage. So the sound sensor which is dependant upon voltage will 'SEE' 1/2 of the voltage being supplied by the electronic E-unit.

I hope my crude diagram helps...671

Srcjo

I think i see what your saying 671. I plan on adding the Drop in sound system when they become available. I just don't want it to sound like a revved up dragster ready to drop the clutch before it starts to move when the motors are wired in series.  :). Currently wiring in series helps with low speed , brighter lights and the horn or bell.

stationmaster12

If you are looking for prototypical slow speed with the wiring in series, the revved up sound of the prime mover would also be realistic. I have seen meny locos rev up quite a bit before moving. Even without a load.
Keep God first in all that you do.