News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadee 148 Couplers

Started by wally, August 24, 2007, 07:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally

Has anyone tried the Kadee 148 couplers in there Bachmann on30 cars and engines? Is there any advantage to the # 5 coupler compared to the 148?  Should I stay with the couplers that come with the cars? Any help appreciated. Just getting started. Wally

ebtbob

Wally,

I stay with the couplers that come with the cars until they go bad.  Then I go to the Kadee 148.   It is a perfect replacement coupler for the original equipment.   The reason is simple,  with the 148 there is no need to have that brass centering plate that the Kadee 5 requires.   The coupler boxes on the Bachmann On30 equipment do not allow that plate to sit flat.  The other problem is the depth of the box.   Once the cover is screwed down it pinches the KD5 and the plate,  not allowing the coupler to pivot freely.
        Another nice thing about the 148 line is that Kadee is starting offer the couplers in different shank lengths and will be offering the over and under shanks also.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

amdaylight

As part of my setting cars up for running on the layout I toss the Bachmann coupler that comes with the car and replace them with a Kadee coupler. I used to use the standard #5 and leave the coupler lid a little loose so as not to clamp the coupler tight now I use the #148's as well and I am going back over the rest of the fleet to install 148's in those cars as well but when you have over 200 cars to do it takes a while.

Andre :)

wally

Thanks fellows for the advice. Wally