News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 stump-puller!

Started by wobblinwheel, April 27, 2013, 01:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobblinwheel

I have become "stunned and amazed" at the new-found pulling power of my recent purchase of an older (non DCC-equipped) Western Maryland Consolidation. I found out that one of the tire-equipped drivers wasn't putting enough pressure on the rail due to the axle bearing being too deeply recessed into the frame. Noticed a little bouncing on that driver as well. So I lifted the drivers and inserted a small piece of plastic tape under the bearing (was NOT easy), and now I have a smooth-running puller from Hell!! This thing is pulling 25 freight cars without so much as a GRUNT! Just sharing this in case some of you might have the same issue. Also, you might have to loosen the nearest bottom cover screw to free things up a bit. I did, and the result is simply mind-boggling!

skipgear

Keep working at it. I have a couple of out of the box 2-8-0's that with substancial break in, pull 65+ cars.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

wobblinwheel

I wish I HAD that many cars! It pulls all the cars I own. I guess that's good enough.......for now!

Riptrack

That 2-8-0 Consolidation is the best N scale steamer to date!!  Pulls nails, plows fields & extracts teeth.  :o
If someone comes up to you and says,..."Smile....Your On Candid Camera!!"......You just got punked at your model railroad club!!

wobblinwheel