Painting black passenger trucks silver?

Started by WKT58, April 30, 2013, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WKT58

I have an old used set of Crown Edition Santa Fe 60' aluminum cars that have black trucks.  I also have a 2 car add-on of contemporary Santa Fe aluminum cars that come with silver trucks.  My Santa Fe war bonnet locomotives (Williams PA-1 AA, and RailKing E3 AA) both have silver trucks. 

Any advice on a good way to paint the black trucks silver?  The floor bodies of the older cars are also painted black.  I think some kind of paint mask has to be created, and a lot of wheel sets have to be removed beforehand.

phillyreading

You may have to remove the trucks from the passenger cars and then remove the wheels so that you don't get silver paint on the trucks and wheels. Couplers are mounted to the truck assemblies, are spring loaded(be careful) like most O gauge trains.
So you may have to tape the couplers when painting, unless you want the same color on the couplers.

If the passenger cars are from the Crown Edition be careful when taking the wheels off, as they may come apart in three seperate pieces; wheel, axle, wheel, and bracket with wire for light, nothing broken it is just the older design like post war Lionel wheels.
I have seen at least two designs for the wheelsets for the Crown Edition, an early version, looks like Lionel post war wheels and a later version, looks like K-Line(before Lionel) wheels.

Lee F.

WKT58