News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Planning Software

Started by starmeister, April 30, 2013, 08:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmeister

I am new to model railroading and just bought a Bachmann set equipped with the Dynamis control system.  I am now trying to plan a simple layout.  I bought the Bachmann book "EZ model railroads" and I also downloaded two software packages...SCARM and Anyrail.

My concern is the accuracy of the software and its use as a tool for planning and in purchasing track components (I will use the EZ track N/S and DSS turnouts). As a trial I decided to duplicate a couple of the published layouts from the Bachmann book..  I copied the track components and placed them exactly as published in the book.  Unfortunately neither software program was able to duplicate the published layout.

The basic question remains...are the published sectional track layouts accurate and reliable, or are they tweaked to fit?  Alternatively, are the software programs accurate and can they be depended upon to produce accurate layouts.

I would be most appreciative if some of you experienced folks could share your experiences in this area.

TimR

Hi Starmeister,

I have personally used Anyrail on several occasions. I have even used it in planning a rather larger Christmas village layout using Bachmann HO E-Z track. While the layout was not "too" complicated, it was much more than just a couple of round circles. In this case, the software worked well and the resulting list of required track pieces needed was spot on. I didn't have to fudge anything and the track went together precisely as expected.

I have also used Anyrail for Peco (On30 flex and On30 switches) and Atlas (HO & N sectional) track and found it to work well. The one issue I had was with Marklin Z track. These did not go together as well as Anyrail would have had me believe. I did get it to work, but it took some finesse.

Have also used it with LGB G scale track (yes, I have trains in a lot of different sizes), although I have never had enough of that LGB stuff (or the room) to build one of those larger layouts so while I cannot speak to the accuracy of the program with LGB track, the software did work well.

These are just my experiences and opinions. I have tried some other software applications for this, but I keep coming back to Anyrail. It's just a personal preference on my part as I (for whatever reason) find it easy to use. Others on here have other preferences for track planning software and will offer up their advice as well, I'm sure. Good luck!  :)

Nathan

One of the other people in our N Scale Club uses XTrackCAD and I use CADRail.  On some published plans both are right on, some both are not, and some one is right on and one is not.

The accuracy of the track library, the settings you have set for the software, and the accuracy of the original published plan all have to  match.  The number of items that could cause the problem is endless.

Use the software and the published plans as a 'guide', there will always be some small adjustments that you will make.

Everyone has their favorite software, everyone has their favorite 'track plan book'.  You may just need time to get used to the way the program works, or you may find another program that better works for you.

Nathan

Doneldon

star-

Welcome to model railroading and to this board. I'm sure you'll find that our hobby has so many aspects to it that you can't help but find a couple which will really intrigue you. There's a bit of a steep learning curve at first, as with most activities, but don't let it intimidate you. You'll be good at this in no time.

I endorse your decision to start with DCC as it really offers the best operating system for trains, unless you just want to watch one run around and around, like under a Christmas tree. And your decision to go with a fairly robust system was a good one as well. I think you'll find that the power, features and versatility of the Dynamis will meet your needs for a long while.

Both the track planning books and the CAD software are excellent products. You do need to make sure that the product you use applies to the Bachmann EZ Track you plan to use. There are some excellent track plan books for Atlas track, for example, but you might or might not be able to duplicate the arrangement with Bachmann or Life-Like or Shinohara or fill-in-the-blank brand of track components. (By the way, don't be seduced by the great looking prices you'll find for the steel alloy EZ Track. The NS will operate with far fewer maintenance issues.)
                                                                                                                                               -- D

rbryce1

I am a big user of Anyrail and have found it to be very accurate with Bachmann EZ track.  I also second the opinion regarding steel track. Stay away from it no matter how cheap it is. You will just be throwing good money away.

I have designed a fairly large and complex double layer railroad with Anyrail, and have needed to scrap my ideas several times and start over when the software told me I could not get there from here. Every time it told me that, it was correct. After designing my most current layout and eliminating all the problems I could find, I then printed the layout at 1:1 scale. After printing the 200+ pages of the layout, I laid the sheets out and placed my track and buildings over the printed pages, and everything fit exactly like it was drawn.  I did need to make some adjustments to the layout because the printed paper version showed me that some buildings may not fit, and when I laid the track and buildings over the paper, they did not fit. After the adjustments, they worked.

I have a lot of confidence in Anyrail, and even though it made me revise the layout a few times, it's easier and cheaper to fix paper than plywood and plaster, and far less frustrating!

CNE Runner

Track plans are provided to the reader as an inspiration and are rarely accurate. A good case in point is the prolific Iain Rice's work. His track plans, while interesting and well drawn, simply do not work. To blindly follow a published plan is to ensure folly in the long run. I have used AnyRail for years and am quite satisfied with the results. Having constructed several layouts for myself, and others, I can also say the end results are not always exactly like the AnyRail-drawn plan...close, but not a perfect reproduction. It comes down to how much accuracy one needs verses price. AnyRail is a bargain at ~$60 whilst an topnotch CAD program can cost hundreds.

Model railroading is an approximation of the 'real world'. We do our best to 'ape' the prototype; but will generally admit we come close and are not accurate to several decimal places. Your best bet is to use a program like AnyRail to see if your plan will fit/work in the space provided. Use the Materials List as a guide in the purchase of track stock (I always add a bit more to the value for flex-track).

Using a large piece of cardboard (or the hard surfaced floor of a little used room), construct a full-sized plan of your intended track plan thereon. Full sized templates are available for many track components (Peco provides these on their website - I am not sure about Bachmann EZ-track...if not why not Mr. Bach-Man?), OR you can simply photocopy an example of each component (make some extras so you will have them for the next layout...or save them as a PDF file on a flash drive). You will end up with your track plan as it will be in the 'real world' and have only used some paper and a little of your time.

I wish you all the best in your quest for knowledge, and skills, in the greatest hobby on Earth.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

Ray-

I haven't noticed problems with Iain Rice's work but then I haven't tried to build any of his plans, either. I wonder if they would work better if they were built with prefab turnouts and flex track for tangents and curves.
                                                                                                                                                        -- D

Len

I've been using a commercial package, RR-Track, for almost 8 years now and find if a layout works on the computer screen, it will work on the table top. In fact I found many of the layouts in popular track plan books have more than a little "fudge factor" built into them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CNE Runner

Hey Don & Len - Awhile ago, I was deep in the process of designing a new exhibition layout. To that end, I wanted something that had a modicum of switching and had a reasonable footprint (both for transportation, cost, and shorter construction time). In Model Railroad's 2013 Planning Guide there is an article entitled "2 Shadowbox Plans for On 2 1/2". Both of these plans were designed by Iain Rice...specifically the first offering caught my attention (Arendt Engineering).

After spending a couple of frustrating evenings with AnyRail, I could not get this plan to work - without expanding the size of the train board (which is cheating in my book). The curves are too sharp, the turnouts don't sit where they do in Rice's plan and adjacent tracks lie too close to each other for proper clearance...yet the plan is for On30.

One could expand the layout dimensions and 'cut' it in half (assembling the halves for operation); but the complexity of the track work doesn't lend itself to that option. Exhibition layouts (at least those that will 'travel' from show to show) need to be less than 4' in length (or at least each module should be <4') as they become unwieldy and too heavy for carrying.

Do not dispair as I discovered another, more suitable plan, on Carl Arendt's excellent website which will definitely 'fit the bill'. The lesson learned here is not necessarily a critical comment on Mr. Rice; but rather an accolade for AnyRail's potential as a track planning guide...'saved me a lot of perspiration and money and is well worth looking into.

Regards,
Ray

PS: I am sorry I hadn't noticed the added posts on this thread earlier. I find myself visiting this forum less and less.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

starmeister

I want to thank everyone for their helpful comments.  I decided to purchase the Anyrail software and I find it to be a superb product. I am learning that it is no simple task to convert the lovely plans offered in the magazines to real layouts. However,after a few evenings with Anyrail I was able to produce several fine layouts for future consideration.  I am considering using EZ Track N/S and it requires some clever use of the individual track components to get a plan reproduction, but with Anyrail I know things will fit properly.  David Hoogvorst is also a fine, helpful representative for Anyrail.  He answered my questions within hours.  I highly recommend his product.

Now for the next question, which I will pose in another thread.  I now have a list of about 20-25 different EZ track items that I will need for my layout.  I sense that it is difficult to get all the track items, especially the DCC turnouts and crossovers.  Many of the on-line sources that I have checked have only limited items.  Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable source of all the EZ track products?

Ron