News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

does anyone make this?

Started by union pacific 844, May 05, 2013, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 09:30:30 AM
I'm still confused I don't need derailleurs on my layout so why do you or anyone else I mean sure they would be good to have along but wouldn't get a little annoying after a while to have a car derail on perpus 

Andrew I don't think anyone would use it on their model railroad for a functioning purpose, but to model a siding with one would be pretty cool and would probably be the question of everyone that sees your layout would ask.

I may even add one to mine.

Jerry

andrewd

man this is dumb derailleurs probably don't egzist so forget it

rogertra

Quote from: andrewd on August 08, 2013, 06:24:54 PM

Derailers!!!!!!!!

Derailleurs are gears used on a bicycle.  At least learn the correct railroad term.  We'll overlook the other spelling error.  :)

jward

Quote from: andrewd on August 08, 2013, 06:24:54 PM
[/quote

every day you show now little you actually know about railroading.

derails are extremely common in real life. they are a safety device that has prevented untold damage and loss of life. they prevent cars parked on a siding from rolling out on the mainline and colliding with trains should their brakes bleed off. had there been a derail on the mm&a where that oil train tied down, there would have been no lac megantic disaster.

on the railroads I was associated with, the derails were often connected to the mainline switch by rods running along the ties, so that opening the mainline switch also closed the derail. add to this arrangement an electric lock on the mainline switch, and you have an almost foolproof system.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA