15th On30 Anniversary at Bachmann this year

Started by railexpert, May 05, 2013, 04:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railexpert

Hello Mr. Bach-man,

1998 Bachmann launched his first On30 model, the for this time high detailed 2-6-0 Steamer.

This year has On30 Narrow Gauge from Bachmann his 15th Anniversary.

Now I studied the 2013 catalogue, but the new items for this 15th Anniversary are very poor:
-   the long announced and delivered Heisler
-   the long announced and delivered 2-4-4-2
-   the long announced and delivered 18' freight cars

For the rest of the year we can only hope some cars:
-   a new 18' box car with Murphy roof
-   a new??? Convertible Coach/Observation car
-   a new??? box car
-   a new??? Gondola

Please produce many more new fine models for us On30 modelers this year

Railexpert                :)

Royce Wilson

How about the excursion car that you produce in other scales?

Royce

EandRR

The 15th Anniversary of the original 2-6-0 would be a perfect time to announce the upgraded version of the 2-6-0 with DCC and electrical pick up in the tender!   ;)

Royce Wilson

I second that , this was a great engine!

Royce

Royce Wilson

I know it would do no good to ask but the South African ,Lawley 4-4-0 Of engine is the perfect size.

Royce

Hamish K

In recent years Bachmann has made major new On30 announcements at the NMRA convention in summer.  Major new On30 announcements are not usually made in the catalogue. (items shown as "new" have been announced or delivered since the last catalogue.) While the Heisler was announced quite some time ago (delayed due to production problems) the 2-4-4-2 and the 18 foot cars were announced at the 2012 NMRA convention, hardly long announced and delivered. The next announcements should be at the 2013 NMRA convention in July. In the current economic climate i think that one new locomotive and some new rolling stock each year is pretty good, and all we can expect.

For the locomotive my choice would be a tank locomotive larger than the Porters but not a Forney, e.g. a 2-6-2t or 0-6-2t etc, and , for the rolling stock, excursion cars. But we can't all get our favourites, as long as there is at least one new locomotive and some new rolling stock I will be happy.

Hamish

railexpert

Dear Hamish,

I want no announcements like every year at the NMRA, which is well known.
I want new locos and items to buy in this anniversary year.

Railexpert    >:(

Stevelewis

You never  know  you  may  get  a  Bachmann Surprise,  but  in the  current  economic  climate, it  is  unlikely  that  you will get anything  new  quickly.

I have been in Railway Modelling  for  many  many years,  and  it is  quite  surprising the  number  of  new  items  that  have  been  announced over  the years  but  NEVER actually  been manufactured,  simply  because  there  was  not  enough interest from  the  market place.

Todays  manufacturers have  more  sense  than just  to  produce  somthing  without  first  doing  a bit  of  market  research  to see if  it  would  actually  sell.

The  items  mentioned above  would  not  make  me  rush out to  buy  them  if  they  were  available!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

ryeguyisme

Dusten Barefoot

That's funny. I don't smell a k-27 at all.  :P

Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ryeguyisme

It would be really logical at this point, 15 year anniv. to come out with the K-27 as a milestone

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The HUGE K-27 Mudhen prototype is too big for its 36" gauge rails, let alone 31.25" gauge rails. 

(HO track gauge [0.651"] in O scale [1:48] actually yields 31.25", not the nominal 30") 

A good compromise might be (Harold Minky's) 1:55n3, which is a perfect scale-gauge match for the Mudhen (or any other 36" gauge prototype) running on HO gauge track.   

The 1:55 model's smaller size might actually look better hauling normal size On30 freight and passenger cars.  The package could say, "Designed for On30 Layouts". 

A different compromi$e would be to keep it O-scale, but design it (leave room) to be easily re-gauged to 36".   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mmiller

I'm guessing you've never seen a K-27, model or otherwise..."huge" is not a word I've ever heard used to describe one, they longer but aren't a ton bigger than the Bachmann 4-6-0

K-27's look just fine on 36" and 31 1/4" gauge rails

if we are dreaming, how about the Surry, Sussex & Southampton 4-4-0 from the Mar/Apr Gazette?
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Kevin S.

Any Surry prototype would be great. The 0-4-2's are different from the ones Bachmann has already produced and the 2-6-2 would be a natural for all kinds of bashes, converting to On3, small power for a common carrier, big power for an industrial.

I read The Compn'y in high school and have a copy. Great read of an interesting railroad.