News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Why no upgraded 0-6-0?

Started by RGW, May 10, 2013, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

Bachmann.       Your newest 0-6-0s run very well it has been mechanically upgraded over the years but not cosmetically . With new boiler,cylinder and a spectrum tender this would be a great switcher. It is already used in kit bash projects, but maybe it would sell like your 2-8-0 some improvements. Seems like all railroads had some 0-6-0s

The same could be said about the non J   4-8-4

thanks RGW

Mike C

I agree. I added a Spectrum tender to mine for better pick-up, and added a decoder also. The loco could really use better cylinders and boiler.   Would be nice to see the old 4-8-4 upgraded also.  How about a Spectrum 2-8-2 ??????...Mike

kmcsjr

Somebody beat me here! :)
I asked about this over on trainboard.com

This and an 0-4-0. You've proved, in recent years that you can make great steamers. The 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 prove you can make good small steamers, I think you even make small steamers for your European brand. How about:
0-4-0, 0-6-0, 4-4-2 (Baldwin Inspection loco circa 1894), and outdo Atlas, by redoing the 4-4-0 w dcc.
Can't hurt to ask

ryeguyisme

You should be able to upgrade the 0-6-0 with the ability shown that a small can motor can fit into the engine, with the alco 2-6-0

The reason I don't buy an 0-6-0 is because the motor protrudes from the back when better technology to upgrade this exists

And maybe the russian decapod project that got cancelled could be restarted with this new existing technology

Desertdweller

I agree.

I upgraded my 2-6-2 by adding tender pick-up.

I would like to convert this to 0-6-0 configuration, but need a switcher tender for it.

Les

RGW

I used  Atlas 0-8-0 tender shell on a usra short spectrum frame. The USRA did not use a slope back tender, so yours maybe right for a 0-6-0 .

skipgear

Quote from: Desertdweller on May 29, 2013, 10:56:11 AM
I agree.

I upgraded my 2-6-2 by adding tender pick-up.

I would like to convert this to 0-6-0 configuration, but need a switcher tender for it.

Les

RGW is right. You already have the right tender. When you remove the pilot and trailing trucks, you have a USRA 0-6-0 that was originally delivered with a short USRA tender. Railroads swapped tenders down the road but I have not found a single picture of a slope back behind a USRA 0-6-0.  The old Atlas 0-8-0 tender shell works well as well as taking the existing short tender and cutting the coal bunker sides down level with the top of the water tank on the tender.

Of course here is the default shot of what an 0-6-0 can and should look like from Bachman......

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Desertdweller

Thanks, Skip.

You have inspired me!

Les

NevadaCityChris

Skip, in your picture post, it looks like the B-Mann running your locomotive! Heh heh

Desertdweller

Skip,

Nice job!

I am modifying my 2-6-2.  I removed the front and rear truck, and the vertical post in the rear that the spring for the rear truck mounts to.

I'm trying to make the loco look like UP 4449, an 0-6-0 assigned as a switcher at Denver.

I removed the headlight, and made a new one that I centered on the smokebox.  I added another on the rear of the tender.

I also removed the bell, and relocated it between the stack and the first dome.

I also improved pickup by adding pickups to the rear tender truck.

Now all I need is some small yellow numbering for the cab.

Les

ftauss

Quote from: Mike C on May 10, 2013, 01:54:37 PM
I agree. I added a Spectrum tender to mine for better pick-up, and added a decoder also. The loco could really use better cylinders and boiler.   Would be nice to see the old 4-8-4 upgraded also.  How about a Spectrum 2-8-2 ??????...Mike

Mike C, how did you do that I picked up a Spirit of Christmas and the other 3 all have the ability to accept a decoder with sound. I'd like to at least add DCC.

Thanks,
Frank