News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mexican Roadnames

Started by gmhtrains, May 11, 2013, 07:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmhtrains

Has Bachmann released any HO rolling stock with Mexican roadnames in the past 10 to 15 years? Other manufacturers' products seem to sell out before the cars even arrive, and anything Mexican on eBay fetches prices two or three times the original MSRP. I am not seeking roadnames of the 21st Century, but the NdeM, FCP, S-BC, Ch-P and FUS cars of the early 1980's. I feel there is a larger market than most US manufacturers realize.

Gil Hulin
Eugene, OR

J3a-614

I don't know how well Mexican equipment would sell (my guess is that it would be even more unusual than Canadian equipment), but some people do model the roads of Mexico, including this fellow below, who is a pretty good modeler and apparently a fan of Bachmann steam power:

http://www.youtube.com/user/doblealtura/videos

A few of other video links from modelers south of the Rio Grande:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvlmbgCGvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_0k76Cvhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnscU1Ok0lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ7pTy2BI2A

Desertdweller

I would see a fair amount of Mexican equipment while working in New Mexico.  Even operated some Mexican locomotives.

I think if a person were modeling that area, they would need some Mexican freight cars to make it look right.

Les

Doneldon

Gil-

I don't know about Bachmann but other manufacturers have some NdeM rolling stock sometimes. Not a lot, though. Much, probably all, Mexican railway equipment is US made so it's not difficult to find the correct model and then repaint and letter. Yes, that's a bigger hassle than coming home from the LHS with a track-ready model, but it's one route to the equipment you want.
                                                    -- D

rogertra

In the late 1960s and up until I left Montreal in 1977,  it was not uncommon to see the occasional Mexican boxcar.  N De M usually.

So it's not just the U.S. that saw/sees Mexican cars.

electrical whiz kid

The only Mexican rail cars  Iever saw, were the artillery cars in "Villa Rides"  (Brynner, Mitchum, Bronson-1967)...  Seriously, Other than NdeM, I didn;t know there were any other Mexican roads.
Rich C.

Jhanecker2

There are several more Mexican railroad  cars .  I see tri-level & bi-level enclosed  car carriers going back & forth between  Belvidere  and  Marengo , Illinois everyday N de M , and Ferro .  These are the new 89 foot cars & also some of the articulated cars. This is on a single track freight Union Pacific ,former  CNW freight line.  John 2

Doneldon

J2-

Those autoloaders carry cars assembled in Mexico. Many manufacturers, both US and foreign, have plants there.

-- D

jward

Quote from: Doneldon on May 13, 2013, 01:30:01 AM
Gil-

I don't know about Bachmann but other manufacturers have some NdeM rolling stock sometimes. Not a lot, though. Much, probably all, Mexican railway equipment is US made so it's not difficult to find the correct model and then repaint and letter. Yes, that's a bigger hassle than coming home from the LHS with a track-ready model, but it one route to the equipment you want.
                                                     -- D

while most Mexican equipment was similar to the us, there were some differences. n de m bought quite a few diesels from American builders which were intended for export worldwide, and thus were not found in the usa. emd g12s and g16s come to mind. the same basic models were used in Yugoslavia, brazil and Egypt among others. I believe the Brazilian company frateschi makes a model of the g12.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gmhtrains

I want to thank the eight forum members who responded over the past six days, but no one actually answered my question as to whether Bachmann has produced any motive power or rolling stock lettered for Mexican railroads, past or present? I am familiar with the models that Athearn, Atlas, Bowser, Broadway Limited and other HO scale manufacturers have produced, and that simple NdeM boxcars often sell at three to four times their original MSRP when offered on eBay. And Walthers NdeM Pullman cars never appear on the second hand market at all.

Gil Hulin 

J3a-614

As far as I know, I've never seen anything from Bachmann lettered for a Mexican road.  Fortunately, at least in the case of steam locomotives and freight cars, you're looking at standard colors and painting practices, i.e., black steam engines and red box cars.  Those types of schemes from the steam era are very easy to paint yourself and letter with decals--provided you can locate decals!  They seem to be harder to come by than pre-lettered locomotives. 

I still miss Champion Decal Company. . .

Jhanecker2

HI !   Just looking out the window at the passing  freight  .  Does anybody  know  what   Railroad  uses  "TFM" on their auto-carriers ? John 2.

Desertdweller

"TFM" is a Mexican railroad owned by Kansas City Southern.  They pool power with KCS.

The locomotives are painted in the gray and red KCS scheme.  They are the same except for lettering inside the cabs is in both Spanish and English.

I'm afraid I don't recall the name that TFM stands for.  A railroad I worked for in Mississippi and Alabama operated them in run-through trains off KCS.  We used to joke that it meant "Tacos From Mexico".

Les

RAM

Kansas City Southern de México (KCSM), formerly Transportación Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), is the name of a company dedicated to freight transportation using rail in the North Eastern part of Mexico. KCSM is fully owned and operated by Kansas City Southern.

ryeguyisme

BLI had mexican centipedes, and mikados i believe