Problem with center rail pickups

Started by lionel00, May 15, 2013, 11:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionel00

I'm having trouble with the center rail pickups on my Williams S2 tender.

After several weeks of running my Williams S2 the tender has developed
groves in the pickups. I have checked the pickups and found them very hard to
turn. I tried to lubricate them no luck, I think the rivet is on to tight. Has any buddy
else had this problem and what did you do to correct it.

Thanks Arty

Hi Lionel00,
         671 here. I have several of the "Stream line" Tenders including one from a 671 S2 WbyB turbine.
         The most probable cause of center pick-up binding is Carbonizing of the lubricating oil. This happens due to several contributing factors.
1.   Dust and dirt build-up on the center shaft to roller.
2.   Using the wrong lubricant. Mineral based oils will have a tendency to carbonize. This will cause binding of the roller
3.   Use of a non-conducting lubricant can cause electrical arching between the roller and its' center shaft ( Axle ). This results in extremely high temperatures at these points, resulting in an electrolysis pitting of the mating surfaces. This creates binding by creating a rough pitted surface to surface contact point.

Remedy:  Clean with plastic safe contact cleaner ( Radio Shack Product ).
Go to your local Hobby Shop for the correct lubricant or try 'On-Line' suppliers.

If the grooving is severe, order replacement pick-ups from the Williams parts section @ this site. Replace the pick-ups.

Good luck...671

phillyreading

I have done center rail rollers on Williams diesel engines, it takes a bit of practice and or patience as the screw is very difficult to replace or start again. You must have the roller wheel held tightly against where it mounts to. I am thinking that the S-2 tender will be the same way.

Lee F.

Lee F.,

I use magnetic screwdrivers for these small screws. I also use a tuna fish can, as a parts bin, for all of the small parts that I remove from the Loco. This keeps them all in one place with little chance of dropping them onto the floor.

If you do not have magnetic tools, dip the screw driver tip into some sticky chassis grease or household Vaseline. This will hold the screw to the tip of the driver allowing easy installation with an easy cleanup.

Good luck...671

Juniata Guy

Just a thought, but wouldn't Bachmann have replacement pickup roller assemblies for sale?

It would be a heck of a lot easier to replace the pickup roller assembly than mess around trying to replace just the roller.

Curt

Juniata Guy,

I believe that Lee F. was referring to the pick up assembly, not just the roller.

phillyreading

The only way I have seen the roller assembly being sold is with the roller and frame assembly together. Look under the parts section on here for your particular roller.

FYI, for what it's worth it is too much trouble to replace just the roller.

Lee F.