Floquil/Polly Scale Discontinued

Started by richg, May 21, 2013, 10:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I've been a big Floquil user over the years, but lately I've found that spray cans were 50-50 at best (for working at all!).  I really like Scalecote paints, and every can works.
I think we're OK!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Piyer

Quote from: J3a-614 on May 23, 2013, 09:10:41 PM
Of course, I have to admit new factory paint work, even on low-cost items like Bachmann and Athearn "Blue Box" (actually Ready-To-Roll) is fantastic, but there are times you have to paint a locomotive, or you are working on a fleet of 100 or 200 hopper cars (or a similar fleet of refrigerator cars for western modelers), and the only way to get all those cars with individual numbers (and sometimes variations in the data) is to paint them yourself. 

Factory paint doesn't weather itself. Factory paint doesn't match the patchwork paint of a well seasoned rust bucket locomotive. Factories don't paint locomotives for (the majority) of shortlines. Factories don't paint locomotives that they don't offer, and thus have to be kitbashed. And factories don't paint locomotives for freelanced model railroad companies.

So, unless we are all going to start modeling the UP / Santa Fe / PRR, with pristine equipment fresh from the factory and the wash rack, we do need paint. O! And lets not forget buildings. They sort of need to be painted too, unless you enjoy their realistically molded colors (or natural wood wooden kits).

BTW, I've yet to see any of the alternative brands mentioned in any of the hobby shops here in NYC.  :-\
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Bucksco

There are many other brands of paint available to the hobbyist. As far as weathering is concerned any brand can be used effectively. As the Bach Man noted the Scalecote line of paint is comprised of just about any Railroad specific color that can possibly be imagined as well as weathering colors. It is a shame that Testors has decided to discontinue these lines of paint but there are alternatives available. If these lines of paint were selling well I seriously doubt they would have been discontinued. Let's all keep a positive outlook.

CNE Runner

Adding to what the Yardmaster said, I contacted my 'supplier' of Polly Scale paints and he told me that the hobby wouldn't feel the effects of the discontinuance for some time; as there is a lot of product in the 'pipeline'. Perhaps with the demise of the Floquil and Polly Scale ranges - Scalecoat products will become more available. One of the most important skills a model railroader can learn is that of adaption...we will adapt to this 'bump' in the road.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"