STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2017, 04:20:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  New 4-4-0 in Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New 4-4-0 in Pennsylvania  (Read 9702 times)
J3a-614

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »

She's been under construction for at least a year, and now she's been delivered--York No. 17, a replica of a Northern Central Railway (Pennsylvania Railroad predecessor) for service on a tourist road on part of the route Abraham Lincoln rode on his way to Gettysburg:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=437009&nseq=43

The replica is based on what was apparently a very similar locomotive delivered to the Union Pacific.  As that engine is one of the 4-4-0s Bachmann offers in HO and N scales, maybe this is something to add for those who like 19th century railroading.

Other photos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=172064222958231&set=o.254509512566&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=172064612958192&set=o.254509512566&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/steamintohistory

Enjoy!
the Bach-man
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:20 PM »

VERY nice!
the Bach-man
CNE Runner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

J3, you have made my day. I am not a big fan of steam power; but my heart begins to race at the sight (illustration or otherwise) of a later 19th century 4-4-0. The locomotive you show is absolutely stunning...every line is perfection. Ah, railroading before standardization...

Thanks,
Ray

"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"
richg
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

Very nice. Thanks for posting. Wish could get there.

Rich
Yardmaster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Hey Bach Man - ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »

She's a looker!

Feel like a fourfouro.
J3a-614

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »

Out of curiosity, would Bachmann be interested in producing this as a model?  If so, what changes besides paint would be considered?  My thoughts would be a new pilot "insert" for the dies to reproduce that bird-cage metal pilot (and while at it, how about a working front coupler?), the new stack, and molding new truck sideframes--in red plastic! 

Now, to find those air brake parts I had around here somewhere. . .and does anyone make them in N scale, too. . .
CNE Runner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »

Thank you for the notification of this locomotive. My wife and are are adjusting our itinerary for this year's traveling to include the "Steam Into History" attraction. I just made a suggestion that the group include a 'directions' section in their website. Wow...a chance to ride behind a NEW Rogers 4-4-0 - how cool is that?

Ray

"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"
BIG BEAR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »

Hey All,

She's stunningly beautiful. A brand new locomotive of my favorite model "The American".
I love it siimply love it!!!

Enjoy,
Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.
Pops

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »

Now if we could just get Bachmann to release a Spectrum version in HO.  All they have are the modern Americans, which are nice - I have one - but I'd love one of those early ones.  That's when engines were really special - highly detailed, painted, cleaned and cared for.  Love 'em.
Johnson Bar Jeff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

Thank you for the notification of this locomotive. My wife and are are adjusting our itinerary for this year's traveling to include the "Steam Into History" attraction. I just made a suggestion that the group include a 'directions' section in their website. Wow...a chance to ride behind a NEW Rogers 4-4-0 - how cool is that?

Ray

I gotta look into this. I visit my dad in Central Pennsylvania regularly, and this is the first I've heard of this "Steam into History" thing.

Quite a beautiful locomotive!
J3a-614

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »

Read more about it here, with inaugural run video in a later posting:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35057
Johnson Bar Jeff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

I wonder what fuel they're using to fire that locomotive? And what they're doing for rolling stock/passenger cars?
ebtnut

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »

The loco is oil-fired.  Eliminates the cinders and soot that would quickly tarnish all that paint and brightwork.  Also eliminates the disposal of cinders and potential tie fires from dropping clinkers.  When I stopped by there a few weeks ago they had two wood-bodied open platform passenger cars that appear to have been built over steel flatcars.  I hope to get up there next weekend for a ride and more in-depth observation
Johnson Bar Jeff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »

Thanks! I'm sure we'll all be interested to read about your impressions.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: