Spectrum J class. Which is old, which is new??

Started by wobblinwheel, May 24, 2013, 03:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobblinwheel

As some may remember, a couple of months ago, I purchased from Trainworld a Spectrum N&W J #601. I have had constant tender-to-engine wiring problems, and finally a burned-out motor. I also found out that Bachmann has NO new replacement motors. Since I had done some "super-detailing" on mine, I went ahead and bought ANOTHER J #601 either for parts, or swap shells and tender. The motor in the new one is noisy, just like the old one, and has already exhibited the slowing down, tripping the circuit breaker. Just like the first one. although it has not done it since. THEN, I got a good deal on Ebay for a #611 "railfan" version with auxilliary tender from "The Favorite Spot" (not Trainworld this time). This loco is TOTALLY DIFFERENT! It has REAL (plastic insulated) wires from engine to tender. It also came with operating magnetic couplers, and the motor is VERY QUIET! Nothing like the other two! This one has run at least two hours (total) without a flaw. Is this #611 a NEWER IMPROVED version? Or are the two from Trainworld the newer, cheaply-made, inferior-quality version?? The motors in the Trainworld locos #601, on sale for $69.95, are clearly NOT up to par!! Neither is the WIRING. Two of the lacquer-insulated wires have already broken from the tender-plug on the replacement #601! Anybody know?

seadowns

Hi!

I use some by my wife no longer used clear nail enamel for many purposes when decoderizing locos. I brushed it on all that wires from body to tender and never had probs with shorts again.

Regards
Mathi

wobblinwheel

Good information. I have been using brush-on Crazy Glue (the really watery stuff) to paint on the wires where they connect to the plugs. Very rigid, and do hold the wires in place at the solder joints. I also used some silicone sealer around the area where the wires join the plug. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to do this on the new loco before they almost immediately broke. It seems the wires fray too easily when moved the slightest amount. The #611, however has good vinyl insulation and stable solder joints. And really good couplers! The motor is so quiet, you can't even hear it run. Totally different quality between the two! I'm still wondering if the 611 "excursion version" I have indicates what's to come, or what will never be again?

wobblinwheel

Skipgear, where is your post? Got an email saying you replied.

skipgear

Who knows.....? I'll try to remember what I posted...

The J has been a Spectrum for a while. Bachmann seems to always be quietly updating product. If it comes with the working knuckle coupler then it is the latest version. The early Spectrum was one of the first Bachmann's to come with a dummy knuckle if I remember correctly. The update to the wiring is nice to hear.

As long as it is not the old J that came in the cardboard box, you are safe.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950