News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

19th Century Equipment

Started by GCRailways, May 29, 2013, 10:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3a-614

One other model that should be mentioned is Kemtron's (now Precision Scale) Wabash 2-6-0.  The prototypes were built, if I recall, late in the 1890s (like 1899), and two of them would be the last steam locomotives to operate on the Wabash due to a very flimsy bridge that wouldn't support anything heavier (abandonment of the bridge eventually solved the problem).  One of that final pair survives in the railroad museum in St. Louis. 

The models, available in HO and O, were sold as in their configuration in the 1950s, but one could backdate them relatively easily to their period of construction. 

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3559677

Looking at the photos in the link above, it looks like a backdating would be not much more than changing the headlight, a wooden cab (maybe), and simplifying the plumbing, perhaps a different pilot, and of course appropriate painting, perhaps simulating a Russian iron jacket.

This kit has not been in production for many years, but I understand all the parts are still available from PSC.  Can anyone confirm this?

ebtnut

I once built about 2/3rd's of an HO Wabash Mogul from the old Kemtron parts.  I actually wanted a 4-4-0 so I mated the superstructure to a Varney "Casey Jones" mechanism where I had cut off the frame ahead of the middle driver and made a new frame extension to support the cylinder block and pilot.  I once had a picutre of it (this was 40+ years ago) and if I find it I'll post it. 

Doneldon

Lucky me! I just scored several pieces of Civil War period rolling stock and a Boker 2-4-0, all in great
condition, at the NMRA Rocky Mountain Division meeting in Albuquerque. Cheap, too. Now I have evrything I
need for my exhibit of Civil War trains.
                                                             -- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on June 07, 2013, 11:18:05 PM
Lucky me! I just scored several pieces of Civil War period rolling stock and a Boker 2-4-0, all in great
condition, at the NMRA Rocky Mountain Division meeting in Albuquerque. Cheap, too. Now I have evrything I
need for my exhibit of Civil War trains.
                                                             -- D

Yee haw! Congratulations! Good for you!  ;D

BTW, have you noticed that there is a gentleman on eBay who has been selling Pocher/Rivarossi/AHM old-time passenger equipment that he has modified to have "Monitor" roofs--that is, the clerestory does not extend to the end of the car/over the platforms? They always sell for ... a lot.  :(

Doneldon

J-J:

Yes, I have, and I've purchased a couple of items from him. His work is clean and carefully done. The
clerestory roof cars I purchased look like the roofs ccame that way from the factory. He emailed me to say
he will do commission work if someone needs a particular item.
                                                                                                -- D

BaltoOhioRRfan

I'm needing some 19th Century equipment, mostly for the Ma & Pa. Thats pretty much all they used. They used the open platform coaches up to the end. I have a picture of a truss boxcar with Ma & Pa 81(or 82) in front of it with a B&O box Car fro the 1940s.  I'm in need mostly of a gondola and those are very hard to come by.

Not to mention i plan on having a little Museum on my layout that would require some. I think i have enough tho but some extra wouldn't hurt to keep switchin it around.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on June 10, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
J-J:

Yes, I have, and I've purchased a couple of items from him. His work is clean and carefully done. The
clerestory roof cars I purchased look like the roofs ccame that way from the factory.
He emailed me to say
                                                                                                -- D

I'm glad to know that, because, as a matter of fact, I just won an auction for a baggage car and coach from him. Both cars have rounded ends to the clerestories, which really look sharp in the photos he posted with the listing and will match the clerestory on the Lincoln car. He does some interesting things with Rivarossi/AHM 4-4-0s, too.

Interesting, too, that he indicated he was willing to do commission work, as I had been thinking of contacting him to ask about that.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on June 10, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
J-J:

clerestory roof cars I purchased look like the roofs ccame that way from the factory. He emailed me to say
                                                                                                -- D

Doneldon,

My baggage car and coach arrived today, and you are absolutely right. The cars are real beauties, the work clean and carefully done. The "monitor" clerestory roofs do indeed look as if they were factory originals. I'm very happy with the cars.

JBJ

Doneldon

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on June 13, 2013, 09:40:34 PM
My baggage car and coach arrived today, and you are absolutely right. The cars are real beauties, the work clean and carefully done. The "monitor" clerestory roofs do indeed look as if they were factory originals. I'm very happy with the cars.

J-J:

Great. I'm glad you like them although I'm not surprised.

-- D