News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roundhouse Kitbash Project

Started by jonathan, May 31, 2013, 10:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Been wanting to add a small roundhouse to my layout, so I can display a couple of brass models, while protecting them from dust and human error.  As luck would have it, we built a large roundhouse on the club layout, with many stalls, nearly a 180 degree arc.  There were a few leftover pieces that I was able to use to frame out a two-stall roundhouse for my home layout.  Most of the exterior structure will have to be scratchbuilt.  This presents some interesting issues to be resolved, so I thought it might be worthy of sharing the progress.  Hopefully, it will help others with space issues.

I had to widen the benchwork about three inches to accomodate the structure.  That's after chopping the structure's length  to 13.5".  This will house medium steam locomotives, which is what I mostly run: Consolidations, 0-8-0 switchers, and the like.  The turntable is small, so I'm at my space limit anyway.

Here's what I've contructed so far:

I left a bit of rail on the ends, to solder the track feeders for the stalls.  These will be hidden by scenery eventually:

One big issue so far:  the stalls are on a 10 degree separation, while the turntable has 15 degree stationary points.  I had to reposition the stalls a few times, and run locomotives back and forth, until everything ran smoothly.  Here you can see one stall in relatively straight and the other has a curve between the stall and the turntable:

From overhead, the curve doesn't look nearly so severe:

Of course, there will be LED lighting mounted in the rafters:

The outdoor stall, behind the roundhouse, is just long enough to hold my Spectrum Heavy Mountain, and it can pull straight through the turntable, onto the mainline.  So that works.

Still have to stractch up some doors and exterior walls.  Will figure that out soon and will post how I solve that problem as soon as possible.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Nice work, as usual.

I like the inspection pits in the floor.....were they part of the kit leftovers?

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid.

The pit floor is actually the benchwork, painted black.  I attached some steps from my junk box, and some lengths of plastic for the sides.  I wasn't too neat about it, as the pit won't be too visible in the end.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

It looks like you're off on another one of your spectacular projects. The inspection pits are a terrific feature too often neglected by modelers, me included. You can put a dim light in them so it looks like somebody is working on a loco. Then add a machine shop sound module and it will be quite believable. You could have a switch on the fascia to turn the lights and sound on. The minor kink in the stall track shouldn't cause you any problems, especially since you'll always be moving slowly there.

Doesn't it feel like a real railroad once you have a turntable and a roundhouse?
                                                                                                                       -- D

Thomas1911

Looks good Jonathan.  Similar to the mods I did to shrink my Walthers roundhouse.

Jerrys HO

Great start Jonathan. Keep us posted.
By the way tore mine up after I saw yours and Thomas's. I believe I got a little impatient when I started it. ::)

Jerry

jonathan

Thanks all.

I will post when I've started erecting the walls.  Right now I'm putting lights in the rafters.  I hadn't thought of the "old flickering light and machine sound module trick".   ;) (thanks Doneldon)

I have a photo of the roundhouse I'm trying to copy (B&O of course).  The walls and windows look a bit different than any of the kits available.  Therefore, it may take some time to get some brick walls, cut out windows and find the right shape frames.  Should be fun.
At least the framework is up. 

Nice mods, Thomas. 

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

A few quick shots of the lighting and front doors, AND two of my favorite loco's (Bachmanns of course).

Unfortunately, these new digital cameras always compensate for darkness. I was going for night shots, and didn't have much luck.  However, you get the idea. 

I thought I was using only warm white LEDs, but a few blue/whites snuck in.  Ooops.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Looking good as always- - -and while the night shots didn't quite turn out as you would have liked, I think they still turned out well, with an interesting "twilight" or early evening feel.

Keep up the work--and the inspiration.

Doneldon

Jonathan-

Most digital cameras allow you to adjust exposure. Basically, you'll underexpose your shot by three or so stops
This can be trial and error, however, to be prepared for that. Be glad you're using digital instead of wasting film.
Also, I think you'll get a more atmospheric night shot once the walls and roof are installed.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

jonathan

A little more progress to view.  I am switching to the exterior scenery for now.  Then I'll make a mock-up of the exterior walls, so I can start planning parts needed. 

The interior of B&O roundhouses was dark green at the bottom, followed by lighter green and/or white up the rest of the walls.  Of course, I will also be adding appropriate junk and figures to the interior. 

My plan is to not add window glazing... makes it easier to peer into the structure.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thomas1911

What are you doing wasting all that perfectly good peanut butter on backfilling your foundation?  Does the creamy or crunchy work better?  ;D

Looks good.

jonathan

I nearly laughed out loud!  It does look like peanut butter... creamy of course, the chunks don't work in HO scale.

R,

Jonathan

jonathan

More progress.  I was able to move my brass locos inside and get the Spectrums back out on the mainline, where they belong.  Notice the Spectrum Heavy Mountain in the background in these shots.

Also, I now have a bump on the facia of the layout to make room for the roundhouse.  In most spots, my layout is only two feet wide.  The only large areas are the turn-arounds.

The mock-ups of the exterior walls are next.  Then we'll call this project done, temporarily.

Regards,

Jonathan