040 Porter Steam engine sound system

Started by BillTrain1940, June 03, 2013, 02:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillTrain1940

I recently purchased a 040 Porter side tank steam engine. I would like to add a sound system to it. Any suggestions on make and model of a product that I can mount inside the Porter, or in an attached boxcar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank's. Bill

richg

Piece of cake. Look at the below link.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=o&s=Bachmann

By the way, there is a On30 forum.

Rich

richg

Oops, this assumes you have experience with DCC sound installs. This is not plug and play. The decoder comes with wiring instructions.

The below link will have a few suggestions/examples.

http://tinyurl.com/kt8olqw

Rich

BillTrain1940

Quote from: richg on June 03, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Piece of cake. Look at the below link.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=o&s=Bachmann

By the way, there is a On30 forum.

Rich

Hi Rich. The 040 Porter I purchased is a G gauge model. Will that need a sound system larger than the one you mentioned? Bill

Doneldon

Bill-

The sound module doesn't care what gauge train it is installed in, as long as it isn't electrically overloaded. The main problems with using N or HO decoders in large scale equipment are the higher track voltage and the significantly greater power demands of large scale motors. The Tsunami 750 series decoders supply only .75 amps to the motor which is much less than a large scale motor draws, even a small one such as the one in the 0-4-0 Porter. I'm afraid the referenced decoder will fail immediately.

One way to avoid this kind of confusion is to ask questions about specific locomotives in the section of this board for the scale you are modeling. Just based on the choices of the large majority of model rails, a reasonable assumption will be made that a poster on the general board models in HO- or perhaps N-scale. That won't be the case if you ask your question on the large scale section.

Your question is a good example for future posters: in addition to posting on the appropriate scale board, always provide as much information as possible about the background for your question. That will help others give you the best possible answer and it avoids the deadly we need more information response, a response which is too often made in a snotty way. It's frustrating trying to answer questions with inadequate information, and there are people who express that frustration with a condescending attitude that, frankly, no one deserves or enjoys.
                                                                                                                                   -- D

richg

With very little info, I knew I was guessing. Happens here quite a lot with questions at times.

Rich

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Doneldon on June 04, 2013, 09:49:00 PM
it avoids the deadly we need more information response, a response which is too often made in a snotty way.                                                                                                                                   -- D
Its just hard to word it without sounding snotty. :P "What we write often sounds different in our own heads 8)"
Its really for the posters own benefit  :), often saving them time :D, hassle ;D, and confusion ??? :-\ :'(, sometimes they learn this is a place for full information filled sentences, not texting style and mega-acronyms :o
Sure we can occasionally sound mean >:( and argue ::), we're human. "Family feuds" and all that (We've also been known to help each other out sometimes ;))

Posting again in "Large" forum section might get you some different response/ideas, from the G scale crew. There are some real interesting people and ideas there also. I don't run G(yet) but often find myself lured to the "Large" section.