News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How about a Whitcomb 45T?

Started by CNE Runner, June 09, 2013, 03:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

While perusing an old copy of Model Railroad News (which I believe is now defunct), I came across an announcement for Accucraft's new (in 2011) large scale Whitcomb 45-Ton model. It was love at first glance...unfortunately this locomotive isn't available in On30. Further inspection had me realize that the power 'base' for this locomotive could be the lower part of Bachmann's excellent Spectrum GE 45-Tonner...all that seems to be required is another On30 body shell.

I am currently kitbashing a Bachmann 44-Ton into a 'sorta - kinda' narrow gauge 45-tonner lookalike...lots of work; but the Boulder Valley kit is well designed. How cool would it be to be able to buy a Whitcomb R-T-R (of course any narrow gaug'r worth their salt will further 'bash/decorate the product to suit their tastes).

Check out this model at: http://www.accucraft.com/modelc/AC78-531-C.htm

Please, please Mr. Bach-Man.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Stevelewis

www.backwoodsminiatures.com  do a kit  for the  centrecab Whitcomb, very  easily assembled,  and  easily  adapted to fit many readily  available  chassis.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

CNE Runner

Thanks for the information Steve. Question: Does Bachwoods Minitures (a UK company) ship faster than the glacial speed exhibited by Boulder Valley Models?

Ray

Stevelewis

Hi Ray

Cannot  really  answer  that,  I have  ordered  from BVM a few  times  and  not experienced  any  real  delay,

approx 10 to 14  days, which is  around the  same  time  my  Micro-Mark orders take to  arrive  here in Wales  (UK)

I can  get  orders from Backwoods delivered  next  day! (providing the items are in stock) but cannot  say how  long  it  would  take to the USA, but i know  they do a lot of business with customers in the  States, they do advertise in US magazines  such as 0n30 Annual  etc.

CNE Runner

Steve - I didn't mean to leave the impression that I was in any way dissatisfied with Dallas and Boulder Valley Models...merely stating that your order will take a while as Dallas fills every order as received (BVM is a one-man operation). Thanks to your comments I will definitely consider an order to Backwoods Miniatures. I have previously ordered from E. Hatton's with excellent results. I have also have had excellent results with The Signal Box.

Regards,
Ray

Stevelewis

Hi  Again

Hattons  are  an excellent  retailer,  they  used  to  get  a  lot  of  bad  press, but  these  days they  are  very  good,  I used  to  visit the shop very  regularly  when  working  in Liverpool but  these days  i mail order as it  is  actually cheaper in terms  of  time  and  Petrol (Gas)  costs, Although  we  can  actually  see Liverpool from  the  top of a hill 1/2 mile  from our  house! its  around a  50+ mile  round  trip ( which I suppose is nothing when  road trips in  America are considered!)

I am told  that  Hattons is  the  UKs  biggest  retailer in terms of Volume  sales for  Bachmann's total model railway range ( all scales)

EandRR

Ray,
I've ordered from Backwoods Miniatures several times and have found their shipping to the US to be very prompt. I have one of their Whitcombs as well as their Forney conversion and can highly recommend them.

Stevelewis

Hi EandRR..............................

did you  use  the   specified  Athearn   Chassis  or  an  alternate  one,  the  Athearn one  is  becoming a little  difficult  to  purchase  over  here  these days

EandRR

I used an SW9 chassis, Atlas I believe, with Quantum sound. Took quite a bit of work to both the shell and the chassis with a table top mill, but it runs very smoothly and the sound is great.