MDT Plymouth - worth repairing?

Started by drabina, June 11, 2013, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drabina

Thanks again for all the replies. I will try to take the gears apart and see if I can locate the problem based on your suggestions. The MDT I have looks to be the very first iteration so it is probably very old. I have decided that if I can't fix it, I will just junk the switcher. Definitely not buying a replacement one.

richg

The below is probably what you have. Mine is like it. The motor is white plastic. What is called a pancake motor. Bachmann used this motor a lot some years ago.

http://www.hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmannplymouth060diagram1990.jpg

Again, to make this easier for you, go to the below link and get an account. Many here use it. A lot of mystery can be solved with a photo.
Bachmann products have gone though many changes and are still changing a lot.

Some here like long drawn out discussions though.

http://photobucket.com/

There are four possible links to use when you copy and paste to a forum. The one labeled, IMG is the one you want.

Rich

drabina

After looking at the posted schematic it looks like my MDT does not have the pancake motor. I have an open frame motor with worm gear in the front of the engine. Frame is solid (not split). I will post pictures today in the evening when I get back from work.

jbrock27

Richie G, care to elaborate what you mean by your snide remark "Some here like long drawn out discussions though."?  Do long discussions somehow bother you?  Seems like you contributed to this "long" discussion by not being able to make up your mind which loco you believed drabina to have.  Got somewhere to  go in a hurry, on your bike maybe?  The weather has not been very cooperative lately for that, so what's your hurry?
Keep Calm and Carry On

InsideTrack

A friendly reminder that everyone's opinion is respected here, as long as your comments do not include disparaging remarks about other Forum members. Please think before you post.

jbrock27

Thanks for the reminder InsideTrack.

But I don't see respect for others being conveyed when I read a comment that states: "Some here like long drawn out discussions though."

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If it's the open frame motor with worm gear, I would definately be looking at either play in the motor shaft, or a loose motor mounting. Both are fairly easy to deal with.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

CNE Runner

I have owned a Bachmann Plymouth MDT (which those of you 'Critter Junkies' will notice it isn't...an MDT only has 4 wheels...not 6) for some time, and although I no longer use this particular locomotive, I never had much trouble with it. I said MUCH, because the only trouble I experienced was one of electrical continuity (electrical power is transmitted from the axles to the motor via the axle/frame interface). [OK, OK Ray; get to the point.]

My point is that this particular locomotive isn't worth fixing. This leaves you with two choices: 1) replace it with Bachmann's excellent GE 45-Ton or 2) purchase another [new] example of this 'wanting' locomotive. Personally I chose option #1.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Desertdweller

Hey, I LIKE long, drawn-out discussions!

Les

jbrock27

Me too Les; more chances to pickup helpful tidbits!

Ray, I hope you did not feel you had to keep it short-please say more if you wish.  What you said so far certainly sounds like wise advice.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Here is mine torn down.

The pickups are the weak link for DCC. I used a DZ125 decoder and the kept the light bulb.

It was a fun project. Easy to separate the frame halves. Just keep track of all the parts.

Rich

drabina

Here are few pictures of the engine I have:

To get to the gears, I guess I have to remove the two screws visible in the last photo. Is that correct?

J3a-614

Glad we got the photos!  The couplers make this seem to be the N scale version; up to now we've been working on the assumption it's an HO scale model. 

OK, any N-scalers care to chime in?

jbrock27

I had asked that question, for that very reason ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...of course, in asking that question, I was looking to avoid a long, drawn out discussion ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On