MDT Plymouth - worth repairing?

Started by drabina, June 11, 2013, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I found the decoder installation fascinating...thanks for including that Rich. I still maintain, that since the Bachmann MDT doesn't represent any Plymouth product (the closest would be the WDT...and it isn't all that close)...and has poor electrical pickup ('could be improved with Tomar pick ups), this locomotive isn't worth all the effort you guys apparently put into it. We have had several in stock over the years; and all were difficult to sell. I view this model as being strictly train set quality.

Again, a far better choice is Bachmann's excellent Spectrum GE 45-Ton. The model comes with dual-mode DCC and is easily upgraded to sound - if one desires. I would imagine that the cost of installation of a decoder (+ installation) will bring the price of the 'MDT' close to the cost of the Bachmann GE 44-Tonner (the GE 45-Tonner is considerably pricier than the 44-Ton).

Well, whatever 'cranks your tractor'. Great pictures (and explanation) Rich. Judging by the couplers, this looks like the N-scale version.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

Yea, terrific pictures.  Too bad they're not of the same loco the original poster, drabina is having problems with ???   Not sure exactly who they are helping.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...and what included decoder installation?  What else am I missing?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

just an opinion from a person who's been in and out of n scale since the 1970s.....

most older n scale locomotives ran very poorly. the only ones I've seen from the 1970s and 1980s which are not a total waste of time by to-day's standards would be the trix locomotives, I especially liked the trix f9s. most of the rest had cheaply made 3 pole motors more suitable for slot cars than model railroad use. gear binds such as you have could quickly cause those motors to burn out. as a matter of fact, I stopped buying one brand, even though they made the alco diesels I love, because just about every one I bought developed a gear bind and burnt out motor.

your locomotive probably falls into this category. I would park it near the engine terminal, with the stack wrapped, as a stored locomotive. use the money you would have spent repairing it to get another, new locomotive. you'll be much happier.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

drabina

You guys convinced me to leave the engine alone. I do not even think I have the skills to work on the small gears like that. Thanks again to all who contributed.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Sounds like a new purchase would be prudent ;). Converting the old loco to a dummy or a static display till "whenever ::)" sure beats the circular file 8).

RAM

You could put it on the end of a track by the engine house with all kinds of junk on and around it.  This would make it look like it has been there for years.

Desertdweller

I used to have a couple of these critters in N scale a long time ago.  I used them on a tiny railroad built in a desk drawer.  It had a desert mining theme.  I called it the "Bonanza Borax Railroad".  It only had a couple switches, operated by throw rods from the front panel.

These locos worked fine for me, but I didn't ask much of them.  Pulled a few short cars around an "up and over" double loop.  You just had to get some momentum up before crossing the switch frogs.  I sprayed them primer gray and weathered them so they looked like they spent a lot of time outdoors in the desert.

This railroad met an unfortunate and untimely end.  One of my friends liked it so well he asked to borrow it.  While he had it at his house, he was killed in an industrial accident.

His girlfriend assumed it was his.  In the confusion following his death, she sold it (and the Plymouths) at a garage sale.  Never even offered to pay me for it. :'(

Les