News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Lettering

Started by dok0621, June 14, 2013, 04:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dok0621

What is the best way to remove the painted lettering on a Bachmann Loco without damaging the paint?

jonathan

What kind of Locomotive it it? 

There are several methods.  I have used nail polish remover with a toothpick.  Takes a long time, removing one letter/number at a time.  There are other, quicker methods, that will give the underlying finish a sheen compared to the rest of the locomotive.  However that sheen is handy for applying the new lettering.  There are other methods, as well as commercial products made specifically for removing lettering.  Remember the original lettering is usually a paint, stamped on at the factory.  Difficult to remove without removing at least a little of the unerlying paint.

Regards,

Jonathan

Loco Bill Canelos

Use the search feature by clicking on it above,  Type in "remove lettering" you will get a ton of info.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

CNE Runner

DOK - I had good luck using a erasable pen eraser ['sounds like I work for the Department of Redundancy Department] on my Bachmann On30 Davenport. As was already mentioned: take your time. The lettering literally 'erased' off completely; with little/no damage to the underlying paint.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

The first is from Harold who has been here.

In the second link, one mentions Walthers Solvaset.  Another mentions Simple Green.

http://tinyurl.com/lpf6o6v

Plenty of links to store.

Rich

Country Joe

I have used a pink eraser to remove lettering without damaging the paint underneath.