News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repaired a Heavy Mountain Hesitation Problem

Started by jonathan, June 14, 2013, 07:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

At the moment, I only have one of my several heavy 4-8-2s equipped with DCC.

I use Atlas code 83 track and No.6 switches.

The heavy 4-8-2 always slows down when going through the frogs of the No.6 switches.  None of my other steam locos does this.

I've checked the wheels and they all appear to be in gauge.

I ran a hacksaw blade through the guard and check rails on the switches to ensure they're not too tight (BTW, a hacksaw blade is almost perfect for clearance on guard and check rails, I used a 3" piece of hacksaw blade when I hand built previous switches)

However, the 4-8-2 still hesitates when going through No6 switches either on the through route or the diverging route.

Jonathan, have you had the same experience and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Jerrys HO

Roger

Until Jonathan get's back to you, I recall although if memory serves me correct, it involved the 0-6-0. I don't remember if any of his others had this problem.
Check and make sure the gear box is not catching the frog. I had to file down my 0-6-0 like Jonathan suggested.
Hope it is as easy as that for you.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 09, 2013, 07:06:30 PM
Roger

Until Jonathan get's back to you, I recall although if memory serves me correct, it involved the 0-6-0. I don't remember if any of his others had this problem.
Check and make sure the gear box is not catching the frog. I had to file down my 0-6-0 like Jonathan suggested.
Hope it is as easy as that for you.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, never though of that.  :)  BTW, this may be a duplicate posting so take it as double the thanks.

Jerrys HO

I took a guess knowing you are using code 83 and if my 0-6-0 rubbed on code 100 rail it made since your loco sits lower.
Hope that was it.

Jerry

jonathan

My 4-8-2s don't hesitate through turnouts (#6).  The pony trucks didn't want to cooperate through one turnout.  A little weight on the front of the trucks cured 'em.  However, I don't think I laid the switch very well.  I have a feeling this is one loco that would be much happier through #8 turnouts.  I don't use them for switching operations.  They haul long trains roundy round my layout.  Wish I could be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on August 10, 2013, 08:26:28 PM
My 4-8-2s don't hesitate through turnouts (#6).  The pony trucks didn't want to cooperate through one turnout.  A little weight on the front of the trucks cured 'em.  However, I don't think I laid the switch very well.  I have a feeling this is one loco that would be much happier through #8 turnouts.  I don't use them for switching operations.  They haul long trains roundy round my layout.  Wish I could be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks anyway Jonathan.

The heavy 4-8-2 and its sisters that will be brought into use on through freight services as the railway construction progresses. They will still need to enter and leave the arrival/departure track in the main yard so as to have cars removed by the yard engine have cars and added to the train's consist.  Therefore, the slowing down entering the yard trackage is a bit of a pain as the trains should, at that time, be moving no faster than walking pace.  The slowing when entering or leaving the hidden staging tracks isn't such a big problem as it's not so visually worrisome as it is in the visible trackage.  Besides, trains enter and leave staging at higher speeds than they do when out on the modelled portion of the railroad.

Perhaps I'll have better luck as I slowly add DCC to the other heavy 4-8-2s and find this one is an anomaly which I can have a look at.

jonathan

Here is the prototype I was trying to copy:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo5501s.jpg

Still have some details to fix.  Been spreading out this project for some reason.

Some final shots with a bit of weathering.  Still running OK:

jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Thanks mucho for the heads up on the belts.  I have a couple of light 4-8-2s and a couple of light 2-10-2s; I assume the belts will fit.
Thanks again.
Rich C.