News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wire Unplugged from Mini connector: Help

Started by Bobjetbob, June 27, 2013, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobjetbob

Hello all,

A wire from my Russian Decapod has disconnected from the mini-connector that connects the locomotive to the tender. I know I am not the first person to have one of these come apart on me and was hoping someone could offer me some instruction on how to fix it.

Joe Baldwin

Bob,
Reading and rereading your write up, it sounds like you have a broken wire at the connector or the pin in the connector slid out of the shell.  A more thorough description and a picture will assure you get better advise and recommended next steps.

Joe
Joe Daddy

jonathan

Bob,

I can only share what I would do.  The parts dept. sells the replacement plug, with wires connected, for $4.00... same price for either plug.  This would require soldering the wires to the appropriate pads/tabs.

This would be much easier than trying to connect the broken wire to the plug.  Don't know how that would be accomplished without melting the plug.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I bought the replacement plugs a few years ago. I have done a lot of soldering over the years and this is very difficult to repair at home. With pins this small, crimping is the only way to go and the crimp tool is quite expensive, if you can find a source for it and the pins.

Rich

West Bound

If the female orange connector has the broken wire I've fixed mine a couple of times as follows:  Inside the orange connector are small small metal female plugs for each wire. Each metal plug has a locking tab on one side of the orange connector. Carefully push in on the tab with a small scewdriver while pushing out the plug with the blunt end of a small drill bit. you can also pull  on the opposite end (wire end) with small tweezer. Solder a new light gage wire to the metal plug. Reinsert metal plug into orange connector making sure end is open enough to accept the male plug on the opposite orange connector. Open the tender and replace the existing wire after measuring for the correct length. This was a very tough fix for me. You need micro tools, magnifying glass a good micro soldering iron. Good luck. Let us know how you fixed yours.  - John

timewarp09

I have a similar problem with my Freedom train, how can I get the new wires, I don't see them on the parts catalog.

richg

Quote from: timewarp09 on November 01, 2013, 03:16:26 PM
I have a similar problem with my Freedom train, how can I get the new wires, I don't see them on the parts catalog.

They are there. Go back and look. I just did.

Rich

richg

I guess should have included. On the Parts page, search for connector.

Rich