Trains in the Lone Ranger Movie

Started by jonathan, July 05, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

Considering the Bachmann Big Hauler pre-dated the filming of the movie, I think it is very possible that was used as the model for the mock-up in the movie.

Les

Loco Bill Canelos

Didn't see anything that looks like Bachamnn Trains, but after looking at the trailers I will go see it for the train scenes for sure!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

M1FredQ

Dear Don

Sorry for the long delay.

As I mentioned in another thread one of my sons is on a ALL-Star Baseball Team and they have been playing 3-4 times a week since 4th of July and we are doing a lot of traveling. Even more now that they won the local Division and we are headed toward the Regionals.

One of my brothers is an Anthropologist Archaeologist on North American Indian Tribes with focus on the Midwest and Northern Plains. I will run the Tonto "look" by him and see what he says. I guess I loved the old Lone Ranger Series and can't grasp a new look for Tonto. As a little kid my Dad took us all to see the actors when they came to Chicago and I never forgot what an impression they made and how nice they were to all us kids.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have to wait for the film to hit Family Video before we all get a chance to see it.

Mdaskalos

Quote from: jonathan on July 10, 2013, 06:07:54 PM
Since The Bach-Man hasn't posted, I'm guessing my assessment may be wrong.

Maybe not. "No" answers are easy to provide. "Yes" answers may be withheld due to non-disclosure agreements with the studio. Or maybe he doesn't know the answer yet and is looking into it.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: M1FredQ on July 16, 2013, 10:55:58 AM
One of my brothers is an Anthropologist Archaeologist on North American Indian Tribes with focus on the Midwest and Northern Plains. I will run the Tonto "look" by him and see what he says.

Supposedly it's based on a painting of an actual member of the Crow tribe (which maybe doesn't make much sense for someone who is supposed to be a Comanche), but it would be interesting to hear what a professional has to say about it.

QuoteAs a little kid my Dad took us all to see the actors when they came to Chicago and I never forgot what an impression they made and how nice they were to all us kids.

I've read in the Wikipedia article about the Lone Ranger (the character) that Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels took very seriously what they considered their duty to be role models for kids, so it's nice to read that your experience jives with what I've read.

Doneldon

J-J

Clayton Moore took his role model responsibilities very seriously. He even went to court at his own expense to
get the right to represent TLR for kids many years after the series was moldering in a can somewhere.

-- D

Woody Elmore

Clayton Moore wore the mask in public. I remember that, over the years, he was sued and then he sued - all over the silly mask.

As a kid I loved the Lone Ranger. Today the shows are very silly. I used to love his disguises (old man, old woman) and never thought about from where he got the disguises.. He sure didn't keep them in saddle bags.

I'm reminded of a joke they used to tell when I was a kid. The Lone Ranger and Tonto are surrounded by a horde of angry Indians. The Lone Range says, "Tonto, it looks like we are surrounded." Tonto replies, "What do you mean ""we?""

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 17, 2013, 06:41:52 AM
Clayton Moore wore the mask in public. I remember that, over the years, he was sued and then he sued - all over the silly mask.

It wasn't that silly to him--or to his legions of loyal fans.

The one series of legal actions that I know a little bit about wasn't started by Moore. Long before 1980's The Legend of the Lone Ranger was released, the producers of that film brought an injunction against Moore to make him stop making appearances because they claimed his appearances as the Lone Ranger might hurt their movie. Moore sued--they were harming his ability to earn a living (doesn't it always come down to money?  :( )--and I believe he won.

Apparently the producers' action against Moore angered a lot of Baby Boomer fans of the Lone Ranger. I believe The Legend of the Lone Ranger is generally considered a flop, though, personally, I like it well enough. I even own a lunchbox tied into the movie (complete with thermos).  ;D

Quote from: Woody Elmore on July 17, 2013, 06:41:52 AM
I used to love his disguises (old man, old woman) and never thought about from where he got the disguises.. He sure didn't keep them in saddle bags.

Yeah, where did he get all those disguises?  ;D

Sorry for getting so far away from the trains aspect of the new movie. ...   :-[

Doneldon

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on July 17, 2013, 12:09:45 PM
Yeah, where did he get all those disguises? 

J-J

We didn't get far from trains at all. It's a well-known fact that the Lone Ranger was a major railfan who kept train movies in his saddlebags along with an HO pike and his masquerade costumes. There's not much to do in the evening around a campfire, you now, or even in a western hotel when you're TLR so you can't hang out at the saloon or with the dance hall ladies.

D

M1FredQ

Was heading home from work early just a few minutes ago and just happened to put on the Michael Medved radio show.

He was commenting to a caller what a bad movie The Lone Ranger was and Johnny Depp was trying to make Tonto into a       

"Captain Jack" like character as in The Pirates of the Caribbean". My kids were listening and said they still want to see it. From what I have read on this Forum I will still see it with the kids for the "Train" scenes and entertainment.

It is supposed to come to our "Drive In" here in town that would be fun!!!!!

mabloodhound

You will enjoy it.   Wife and I are senor citizens and well recall all the old TLR stuff and we have seen every "Jack Sparrow" flick.   We liked this one even if it isn't like the original oldies.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Woody Elmore

As for hiding disguises, the Lone Ranger and his brother owned a silver mine. Maybe that's where he kept the costumes!

It's been many years since I watched a Lone Ranger with Clayton Moore. Do tell - did he ever square off against the nefarious (booo!!) Butch Cavendish?

The latest film was seriously panned by critics yet it is making money. Apparently there are no exploding cars, car crashes, guys in sunglasses, super heroes, vampires or Bruce Willis in the movie.

Now that I'm semi-retired, maybe I'll write the definitive Lone Ranger biography.

M1FredQ

I always take what the film critics say with more than a few grains of salt.

It's just that Michael Medved is usually pretty fair and I  was disappointed in his review yesterday.

I had already read what folks said about the film before yesterday and I respect the info folks share on the forum.

Like I said I plan to still see it . In fact last night the kids were asking about it and I told them we can see it at the drive in when it comes to town!!!

Thanks again for all the input everybody!!!

Terry Toenges

I rem him losing the right to wear the mask so he took to wearing dark sun glasses.
Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on July 17, 2013, 05:37:12 PM
J-J

We didn't get far from trains at all. It's a well-known fact that the Lone Ranger was a major railfan who kept train movies in his saddlebags along with an HO pike and his masquerade costumes. There's not much to do in the evening around a campfire, you now, or even in a western hotel when you're TLR so you can't hang out at the saloon or with the dance hall ladies.

D

D,

Those saddle bags must have been a little like Mary Poppins' carpet bag: Whatever you need, you just pull out of the bag.  ;)

JBJ