Trains in the Lone Ranger Movie

Started by jonathan, July 05, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

A buddy of mine, visiting railroad related places on the west Coast went and checked out the old SPNG which is in the Owens Valley. I guess that it's in the middle of nowhere but they have some of the old equipment on display.

M1FredQ

Thanks for the info about Carson City.

When I took the kids last Spring Break we did pass Carson City and I was talking to the kids about the History

BUT

I didn't know about the TRain Museam. I will make the stop instead of hitting NAPA,the kids aren't too excited about wines yet!

Griffith Park didn't know about the train museam we went there and toured around the building checking out the "Tesla" machine I will make sure we get to the trains!!

Thanks!!

J3a-614

Thought you all might be interested in this featurette on the making of the railroad sequences from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXTXWpIYgQ

Discussion of same from Railway Preservation News:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36157

M1FredQ

Since it's So cold here kids and I were talking about our Spring break plans.

Carson city is doable as we will spend the night in lake Tahoe area as Napa is off the list.         

we do pass through Sacramento so we can stop their too then its down the Pacific Coast to L.A. area

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

Doneldon

Fred-

The California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento is an outstanding attraction. The Nevada Northern Railroad is good, too. It's east of Reno quite a ways but you could plan to stop there on your way to or from Lake Tahoe.
                                                                                                     -- D

M1FredQ

Doneldon

Fred-

Quite a ways. The Nevada on-line state map shows 320 miles. But it would be worth the drive if it's just a detour on the way going or coming. If you fly into Reno and then must do a 600+ mile trip, well, only you can decide if that would be worth your while. Why not go to the Nevada Northern web site and see what they have there? You might even decide to take an operator class or "rent" and run a locomotive for a while!
                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

M1FredQ

Thanks

I have maps from AAA I'll check it out!!!