News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4449 driver insulators

Started by 3751, July 06, 2013, 09:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
I bought what is probably an older 4449 that has bad plastic axle insulators.  I super glued them back in, but ended up with two sets that are wobbly.  Is there someplace to but a whole wheel set (preferable) or just the plastic axles?
Thanks in advance.
SF 3751

WoundedBear

And what exactly would a 4449 be?

Sid

surveyorbill

It is housed in Portland Oregon.

Doneldon

3751-

It's Daylight, not Daylighter.

I seriously doubt if you can find axles alone and scratch building them would be an incredible undertaking, even for an experienced modeler. If nothing else, it would require a substantial investment in tools. However, Bachmann parts sells the wheels as an assembly for $15. Unfortunately, they are temporarily out of stock and I didn't see an estimate as to when they will be available. The people at the service number listed on this site should be able to give you an idea. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the part is available soon as the model is in the current Bmann catalog. The Bmann also offers the chassis with the wheels and cylinders already assembled for $50 if you are in a hurry. I noted, however, that a whole new loco with DCC is listed at $250. It would sell for considerably less at online hobby shops or eBay (if you want to break your own rule). You might be better off in the long run just buying a new loco, at least if your present one is DC and you aspire to convert it to DCC at some future point.

Whichever way you go, good luck with your project.

D