News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

REPLACEMENT GEARS

Started by 2foot6, July 07, 2013, 05:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2foot6

As Mr Bachmann said "patience is a virtue"well my ordered parts arrived today,Hooray,now  I can get some locos repaired and running again. Just  need to wait for the gas loco parts as they are out of stock at the moment. WELL DONE  Bachmann for replacing the faulty items,which would have been a massive task,your actions have  restored my faith in commercial world. cheers Peter :)

2foot6

Hooray,today I replaced the drive shafts on the rail bus .Easy job,just the two drive shafts with bevelled gears  coming out of the gear box needed replacing.Has anyone had to replace other gears?It seemed to simple,but it works well ;D

ScottyB

Yup, I just did my rail bus. Total of three gears needed replacement. Two bevel gears and one axle mounted gear. One needs to look extra close - I thought I was done after the bevel gears, but it still jerked around. Another close inspection revealed the axle gear I missed.

From my email to Bachmann to receiving them in my mailbox was less than a week. Railbus runs well now, and a little break in should make it nice and smooth.

I've had very good luck with Bachmann sending the right parts in the past for my Climax and Shay as well. I'm proud to say I don't have any "shelf queens" at the moment - all nine of my On30 locos are running, and running well.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

dutchbuilder

I did the railbus to and it's a smouth runner!
Mr.B. sent me so much gears that i nearly can repair an other one! ;D
In total i had three small split gears......

Ton

Mike-

Got a box of goodies today ;D

locobill

I received my gears this past week. Using the instructions and pictures provided by Larry, I was able to get the trucks disassembled BUT can not get the clips off the drive shaft. I know where the clips should be, but do not see any place to press on the clip ends. I have looked through a magnifying glass and can not see the clip ends on the inside of the axle.
Has anyone else run into this problem?
I guess the only thing left to do is to send the loco into Bachmann and have them replace them.
Bill

Biglars

Bill,
You can try to pry the clips off from the front side of the truck by sliding a small screwdriver up from the bottom of the truck under the clip. I have broken a few clips this way and that is why I not push the clips out from the inside of the truck. You can purchase replacement clips from the parts department so it is worth a try.
Larry

2foot6

Today I received the gears and wheels for  the Davenport,they where the final part of my initial order,as they were out of stock for some time.It's taken a while to receive the total order  I  placed on June 1st,but give credit where it's due ,it would have been a large task to fill the orders and would have taken considerable time to clear them..I thank Bachmann for offering the parts to repair rolling stock and supplying them in a reasonable  time frame.This whole process has renewed my feelings  towards manufacturers and suppliers in a positive way.I hope other industries will take note and follow Bachmanns approach in the future.   :) :) cheers Peter.

Kevin Miller

This is good to hear.  I hope this replacement program is still active.  Just last week I discovered that my Rail bus has all 4 bevel gears cracked.  They seemed to be fine when this program started but have apparently developed the crack since then.  I have my email into the Bachmann special email address and have my fingers crossed.

Kevin Miller
NVNGRR

On30don

I've sent two emails asking for replacement gears since receiving my "ITEM NO. 28502 "ON30 T-BOILER TWO-TRUCK SHAY - (SOUND) - PAINTED, UNLETTERED w/WOOD CAD 9w/white pinstripes) 0 22899 28502 3" as a Christmas gift . No response yet. I tried calling the parts department but couldn't get through.

My Shay has four split gears now and won't move under it's own power. I have resorted to pushing it with my non DCC "Home for the Holidays" 2-6-0.

Do you have any idea when I should expect to see the repair kit, or if I'm even on the list?

Thanks,

Bucksco

Working on it. Shay gears are not in at this time. If service has your contact info they will let you know when they arrive.

Kevin Miller

:D  A big thank you to Bachmann.  My gears were in the mail today.  Now I can get my Rail bus on the schedule and have fun with the guys during Operating sessions.   ;D

Kevin Miller
NVNGRR

On30don

I received my replacement gear package for my ITEM NO. 28502 "ON30 T-BOILER TWO-TRUCK SHAY on Jan 14. But it didn't come with a rather important component. I explained the problem in the letter below, which I sent via email that same evening.

"I received the replacement shafts today. Thank you.

I installed the front shaft but the used "Driveline Clips" no longer stay attached to that side of the truck.

Also, the forward clip on the rear truck appears to have been glued in place, at the factory, and the tabs broke off in that side of the truck while I was attempting to remove it. The broken tabs are still in the truck I and have not been able to extract them. I will not be able to install a new clip in that truck section with the broken tabs glued in place.

The packaging was unopened when I received this locomotive so this must have been glued at the factory.

Can you please send me at least four new Driveline Clips, part number: 256XX-OONO1 (I suspect these clips are not easily installed if they must, occasionally, need to be glued in place at the factory) and one new right side truck section, part number: 00J02.

Thank you."

I tried to call the parts department but I couldn't get through. I did leave a message explaining the problem, left my name number and asked for a return call. My call has not been returned.

When I sent the above message it must have been taken as a request for replacement gears because I did receive another set a few days after sending that message. So now I have an extra set of replacement gears. I hope that doesn't mean someone is going without...

Has anyone else noticed glued Driveline Clips and or their tendency to not be reusable once they have been removed?

Thanks,

Don.

rk_dave

I guess I'm a little late to the party.  I've had my T-Boiler shay for about 4 years, and it ran fine until earlier this summer, when it began to jerk and finally wouldn't go at all.  I took it to my LHS, and they said Bachmann had announced a program last year to remedy this problem, but the LHS wasn't sure if they were still doing this.  I looked on-line and saw the announcement of the program and the email address.  I sent an email asking if Bachmann was still providing replacements for the Shay trucks, sideframes, or gears but didn't hear back, so I called the parts department.  The gentleman I spoke with said he would send me some replacement gears.  I asked if I could get sideframes or trucks with the replacement gears, but he said no - gears only.

From this thread and others on the internet, this procedure seems delicate, and could result in damaged clips and/or bent shafts. I'm concerned that I might damage my shay further if I try to replace the gears.

If I just go ahead and pay the price for replacement trucks, will they have the new gears installed, or will they have the old brittle ones? The cost of the trucks is less that the cost of a gear press to put the new ones on the shaft.

ScottyB

I don't know the answer to your last question, but the gear replacement on the shay is really quite simple. Those little clips may or may not be reusable - mine were somewhat reusable - I superglued them back on. Worst case, those clips are available in the Bachmann eStore for $1 each. (link)

Your question as to whether the replacement trucks come with the new gears is a very good one. The photo they show has the old ones.

I would get the gears, do the replacement, see if the clips still work for you and maybe order new ones if needed. Best of luck!

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.