News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do I remove body on Spectrum 4-4-0?

Started by ACEGuy, July 11, 2013, 08:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACEGuy

I am trying to replace the body on my Spectrum 4-4-0 and cannot make heads or tails of the Bachman exploded view in terms of what happens first, etc.  Does anyone have detailed instructions or better yet, a YouTube video of disassembling the 4-4-0?  I am fearful that if I can get it apart I won't be able to get it back together without lots of extra pieces left over. :'(

Thanks,

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bob,
I'm not sure why you are needing to take it apart, if I knew I may be able to help in some specific way.  Unfortunately my 4-4-0 is in deep storage right now, but you can't go too wrong.  The chassis separates as a unit so no need to remove small parts attached to the chassis or boiler and cab, check for screws under the cab and a long screw between the steam chest, you will have to remove any handrails or parts that are attached to both the chassis and the cab and boiler.  As you remove a part take a pic and bag it in a sandwich bag, label it, then go to the next item and repeat.  This has saved me more than once.

I always use this procedure the first time I tear something down. 

Hopefully someone will post specific dis-assembly instructions  for you!

If all else fails try it!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ACEGuy

Thanks Bill,

I have a brand new 4-4-0 Olive Green & Russia Iron but have just acquired an Lake & Russia Iron non-functional loco.  I like the body on the Lake & Russia Iron better so I want to swap them so the new chassis is
in the older body.

Your procedure is how I typically do these things but I got myself in trouble on an Annie that I took apart and had one heck of a time getting it back together again.

Thanks again,

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,
Sorry I could not be more helpful, I was hoping someone else would have better info. 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!