News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann C-19 gets "de-Colorado-ized"

Started by Kevin Strong, July 12, 2013, 02:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

The D&RGW made them famous by naming them "C-19," but to Baldwin, they were "10-26 E," and they built a bunch of 'em not only for the D&RG, but for railroads all around the globe.

Of those locos, the most familiar to fans of eastern railroading would be EBT's #7. Logic would dictate--knowing my love of the EBT--that I would jump at the chance to convert Bachmann's model to a model of the EBT's 2-8-0. Well, had they announced the loco a year before they actually did, then yes. Unfortunately while they were busy developing their model, I was busy scratchbuilding one of my own! (of all the rotten timing.)

So, I don't need two models of the same loco, so what to do with the Bachmann C-19? Well, how about taking some of the best features of the C-19 as built by Bachmann, and combining it with the simplicity of some of the 10-26 Es built for export, applied to a loco purchased used by a semi-fictitious railroad in 1916?

More info on the work that was done and detailed photos can be found by visiting my blog: http://tuscarorarailroad.blogspot.com/ (And if you scroll down on my blog, you'll see photos of my EBT #7, which I finished right about the time the Bachmann model came out.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Kevin,   

Sweet, great work as always!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Another nice one Kevin!  Your work is always super....i offer you a bit of a challenge.  Is there anything in the Bachmann line of engines that might serve as a starting place for you to model the EBT #11?  i would soooo like to see a model of this one!...and perhaps after you make yours, Bachmann will release a version for the general public.  ;D   Would be a great sister/brother to the Connie or C-19.   Has great valve gear.  Small enough to work on most model radii, big enough to pull a string of cars, and ugly enough to hug (or at least purchase)!  Granted there were no other of this prototype, but 2-6-2's we quite common in 2 foot lines and logging areas.

Kevin Strong

Yes and no. The 4-6-0 is probably the best bet, as the valve gear is very close, and the driver spacing is within a few inches of the prototype. The problem is that the drivers are way too small. Number 11 had 48" drivers, whereas the 4-6-0's drivers scale to 40". I had a guy at one time looking to get castings done for proper 48" drivers for me, but that seems to have stalled. I bought a 4-6-0 a while back for just that project, but no drivers, no point in working on it. But that just gets you wheels the right size and roughly the right distance apart. You've got to modify the frame to move the cylinders closer to the front driver, and pretty much scratchbuild everything else on top of that.

But a model of #11 is on my "to do" list, still, as well as #9 (a 2-6-0) and #8 (a 4-6-0). Some day...

Later,

K

petertoot

:D :Dkevin,that is a lovely loco,i am awating delivery of a c19bumblebee,keep up the good work,and pics that go with the work.cheers,peter in ozzie 8) 8)

bob kaplan

Ok, Kevin....i won't hold my breath.....but i will anticipate!!!...but hurry....i am not 27 anymore!   :)