News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/20.3 K-27

Started by Ken, August 29, 2007, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Steinhoff

Great, I have been waiting, bring it on.
I will make my railway fit it.
Finally a K that I can afford,
Bud

Curmudgeon

Okay, right from the convention floor.

This was a mock-up done in China for the show, of production and non-production parts.
Production units will have the correct stack, correct water hatch (apparently this one sits too high), and the doghouse will have an interior.

This was punched out to have something to show of what they have been up to all these many months.

The Bach-Boy will be back on-line Sunday night and answer questions.

R. J. Raleigh

ok, what about materials? long ago it was mentioned that the k-27 will be diecast...is that still the case? a diecast boiler would be very nice.

zubi

Quote from: japasha on August 30, 2007, 12:11:48 PM

Similar power went all over the world, Columbia, Central America and so on. Don't forget the Sumpter Valley and Uintah which had similar  locomotives.

Japasha, Is that true? I do not think that Uintah or SV had outside frame Mikado locomotives. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

bobgrosh

I have a couple questions about the DCC interface.
It has been rumored that the coal load can be removed and there is a DCC connector. If true, then it looks like a DCC decoder can be installed without lifting, handling, or rolling the loco to it's side.
(1) Is that true?
(2) Are there separate wires from the loco to the tender for EACH of the following;

• smoke
  • marker lights
  • firebox flicker phase A
  • firebox flicker phase B
  • Headlight
  • cab light ?
(3)Can all wiring to individual functions be accomplished inside the tender to provide individual control of the above?
(4)Are there wires in the tender for a chuff cam?
(5)Are there any circuits, regulators, capacitors on the motor or other items inside the loco that must be removed when installing a decoder.

I initially thought that without a decoder version, like the three truck Shay, the Kay would be something I could not convert due to it's size, weight and fantastic detailing. If the rumors about the DCC being installed in the tender are true, then I definitely want this big rodded loco to go with my Shays. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for a DCC version.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I will have many pictures to post upon my return. (I'm waiting for the show to open, so I have a quiet monent to post, incidentally.) The stack will be correct, it's the CAB hatch that sits too high, the doghouse will have a single seat passenger car bench, the minimum diameter is EIGHT feet (Corrected on 1 August), the interface in the  tender will accept DCC, RCS, Airwire, or presumably anything but live steam, and there will be multiple versions of cabs, tenders, cylinders, etc. I think that covers it all to date...
It's a great show!
Have fun! (I sure am!)
the Bach-man

Steve Stockham

Ahhh!!!! Now THAT is what I call "something to anticipate"!!! ;D

Matthew (OV)

Er...  Bach-Man ... maybe you need to slow that high speed internet down a bit... or bring the dragon:

"The minimum diameter is four feet"

Maybe you meant the minimum TURNTABLE diameter?  ;D

That's a lot like what Jack Sparrow would call an Arrrh-One.

Fortunately, the RADIUS of all the curves on the new Slate Creek were made in (dare we say it) Anticipation of this particular arrival, and all exceed four feet by as much as could be managed!

I'm liking those multiple tender shells .... if there's a big cab to go with that square RGS one, I may just have to have two!  Overtime, here we come.

Matthew (OV)

CCSII

Materials? Plastic, die cast, pastry dough?

rdamurphy

Quote, Is that true? I do not think that Uintah or SV had outside frame Mikado locomotives. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Zubi, it most certainly is true!  It was Uintah #40, and it was used on one end of the line, it wouldn't make it through the curves on Baxter Pass.  (Obviously wasn't built for a 4foot diameter curve!  :D)  I'm pretty sure it was scrapped when the line went out of business, and I'm not sure how it compares in size with a K-27, but I'll look up the specs and see.

Hey, Bach Man?  How about a 1:20.3 2-6-6-2T Uintah Rwy articulated?

Robert

Matthew (OV)

Quote from: CCSII on August 31, 2007, 10:41:48 PM
Materials? Plastic, die cast, pastry dough?

A K-27 made of pastry dough .... would that be a Mud Pie?

Can anyone who was there comment further on the extra parts and bits seen in some of the photos.... particularly with respect to the presence (or not) of different cabs and cylinder covers, other parts, etc? 

Matthew (OV)

zubi

Quote from: rdamurphy on September 01, 2007, 06:07:13 AM
Quote, Is that true? I do not think that Uintah or SV had outside frame Mikado locomotives. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Zubi, it most certainly is true!  It was Uintah #40, and it was used on one end of the line, it wouldn't make it through the curves on Baxter Pass.  (Obviously wasn't built for a 4foot diameter curve!  :D)  I'm pretty sure it was scrapped when the line went out of business, and I'm not sure how it compares in size with a K-27, but I'll look up the specs and see.

Hey, Bach Man?  How about a 1:20.3 2-6-6-2T Uintah Rwy articulated?

Robert

Robert, Thanks for the note. I do not have the Uintah books here in Tokyo so I am only referring to my memory. Well, the #40 does not look like outside frame in this photo; But the #30 in this sale flyer looks certainly more like it. Still, I think there are considerable differences between this and the D&RGW K27s but I have no precise data to compare. The 2-6-6-2 articulates are most fabulos locomotives, but I think that the right company to release them in foreseable time is Accucraft. And hopefully these will be live steam 2-6-6-2's!! Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Perry Ottoman

Yep, fix that stack and the way too short front steps up to the running boards.

scottychaos

Quote from: Matthew (OV) on August 31, 2007, 09:15:37 PM
Er...  Bach-Man ... maybe you need to slow that high speed internet down a bit... or bring the dragon:

"The minimum diameter is four feet"

Maybe you meant the minimum TURNTABLE diameter?  ;D

We should try to start a movement to always have model railroad curves described in terms of diameter only, not radius!
yes, I know radius has a longer tradition..in HO scale curves are almost always described in radius: 18" radius and etc.
but diameter makes so much more sense!
because its distance across the ENTIRE circle!
no extra math necesary:

"18 inch radius?? lets see, 18 times 2 is 36, 36 inches equals 3 feet.. so the curve is 3-feet across then?? well then why not just SAY "3 foot diameter"?!  whats all this mucking around with 18 inches?!" ;)

and in the case of the K27, if diameter was always used, as in "8-foot diameter",
the Bach-man wouldnt have made a mistake and said "The minimum diameter is four feet"..when he clearly meant 4-foot radius, 8-foot diameter..

Join the cause! down with radius!!  ;D

Scot

Matthew (OV)

Scot,

You cannot have your Pi and eat it too.

Matthew (OV)