News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder for Spectrum 2-8-0 Western Maryland

Started by tomgschilling, July 19, 2013, 12:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomgschilling

I would like to know which Bachmann factory installed decoder is installed in the newer 2-8-0's and is is possible to obtain a more capable decoder from Bachmann.  I need much more control over speed than is provided in the current decoder that comes with the loco.  Thanks.                 ....Tom

richg

Quite simple. I just looked at the diagram page and all the instructions are there.
Get a N scale decoder from Digitrax or TCS. Get one without the eight pin connector. Solder the decoder wires to the PC board like the instructions show. This assumes you have the necessary experience.

Rich

skipgear

Bachmann doesn't make a better decoder.

Look at the instruction sheet for you loco. It explains how to separate the factory decoder from the light board and solder your own decoder on.

What are you lacking from the stock decoder? It doesn't have a Vmid or Vmax but does have Vmin and Accel and Deccel controls. Set the Vmin (CV02) to around 2 or 3, stock is closer to 10 I believe, and you will have much better slow speed control. You can't make it go any faster, and the way these are geared, there really isn't a need to limit top speed.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950