News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Turnout #5 Problem

Started by keesu, July 17, 2013, 05:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keesu

Hi, Folks

I recently purchased a Bachmann DCC Turnout #5 (right) and have  run into a frustrating problem.  The good news is that it's a cinch to program and switches perfectly every time.  Here's the problem:  when I run an A/B locomotive set, the B end gets stuck in the track when I set the turnout to right.  (There's no problem when it's closed.) I'll try to explain what I discovered.

It seems that the part of the track that shifts to send the train to the right (sorry, I don't know what that's called) moves a little as the locomotive passes over it, which isn't a problem with a single locomotive or the passengers cars that it pulls.  It only gives me fits when I run an A/B arrangement.  When the A loco passes over the turnout, its rear wheels appear to create a little space between the track part that goes straight and the one that veers to the right.  The front wheels of the B loco, then, enter the turnout while the shifter part of the track hasn't quite yet settled back to the full rightward position, so the B loco gets jammed between the two parts of the track.

One more thing:  when I manually pull the A/B set  through the turnout it works fine as long as I pull the A loco.  As soon as I push or pull the set with only the B end, it jams as described above.  I have run only one locomotive set so far, but I doubt the others will behave any differently.  i

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I'm really at a loss to figure it out.

Thanks

Keith

jward

there are two things I do when I make my own switches that you can try. the problem you are having may with your switchpoints may be solved by these. derailments often occur when wheels catch the very ends of the points, so I've found it prudent to "hide the point" by putting a slight kink in the rail, just before the points. the idea here is to guide the wheels away from the ends of the points. you must be careful not to put too much of a kink in the rail, or your track will be out of guage and cause derailments. the other thing that helps is to file a bevel on the ends of the points. the ends of the points should be almost razor sharp instead of the blunt end of rail you get when they come from the factory. when I build my own, these things are taken care of before the track is laid down. it is a bit harder to do this when the track is down, or with a premade switch like you have, but it can still be done, carefully, with a small jeweler's file.

one other issue you might have is the wobble in the points. I don't have this problem as I have designed this wobble out of the ones I build, but others have either tightened up the pivots at the opposite end of the points, or added a small shim under the points on the throwbar. tightening the pivots works best when they are small rivets that you can tap with a nail set. if you decide to shim the throwbar instead, use a small bit of index card between the throwbar and the point, test it to make sure it solves the problem before you glue it in place.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

kee-

Your B-unit's are picking the points of the turnout. It sounds like your A-unit's weight pressures the turnout enough to keep the points tight while it's on the turnout, but the points then shift a little. Things either settle back into place with the reduced weight of your cars or the cars' wheels are just enough thicker that they don't slide into the gap between the point and the stock rail.

Jeff's ideas are good ones but they are difficult to do on an installed turnout. I suggest that you try the shim or rivet tightening first. If those don't do the trick you can file a tiny wedge-shaped piece out of the stock rail so the point can nestle into it a little more. Failing that, file the edge on the point as Jeff suggests. I've never tried the kink fix myself, but the idea scares me a little. You would be looking at an almost microscopic kink and I'm just not sure how you could do that to an installed turnout without risking destroying it. Jeff -- do you have any further hints about this?

-- D

jward

what I've done in the past is to grip the rail in needle nose pliers and give it a little twist. I haven't done this in a few years as I now build my own switches, and can file the notch in the rail for the points to fit in, before I ever spike the rail down. but when I still used atlas switches, the kink worked like a charm.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Jeff-

All right! I think I'll try it.

D

keesu

Thank all of you for your responses.  Yes, Don, the B unit is picking up the points.  I tried the shim, but that didn't work, so I then tried to file down the points as you suggested, Jeff.  I guess I pushed a little too hard, so I broke the point off.  I was so frustrated that I threw the entire thing into the garbage can.  I've ordered another one from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow, and I'll see if I have the same problem.

I originally used regular Bachmann turnouts, you know, the ones without the numbers (e.g. #5), and found that the curve of the turnouts didn't work for longer cars, so I ordered the #5 thinking that everything would work out.  As far as the curve goes, it's great, but only if the locomotives will stay on the track without getting snagged on the points.  If the turnout I ordered doesn't work, Bachmann's going to hear from me, pronto. Can any of you recommend other DCC turnouts compatible with EZ Track?  

I won't even go into the torture of installing lighting kits on Walthers Santa Fe passengers cars as that's for another non-Bachmann forum.

Keith

JerryB

If a single car or engine is picking a point, you might find that the back to back wheel spacing is incorrect. Use a good quality wheel & track gauge to check the back to back wheel spacing, then adjust the wheels accordingly.

You can get wheel & track gauges from the NMRA (See: https://www.nmrastores.com/Public_Store/product_info.php?products_id=53&osCsid=uf8t9v10e7skmr640ovdo1utd4)

--OR--

From tool houses such as Micro Mark (See: http://www.micromark.com/nmra-gage-ho-scale,7530.html).

These gauges have the ability to help diagnose points, flangeways and other track and switch problems in addition to wheel standards. It is pretty much impossible to work on wheels and track without such a gauge.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jward

sorry to hear about the point breaking off.  evidently the way Bachmann has them fastened isn't as strong as the atlas and peco  I used to use. if you ever have to file a point again, try slipping something small like a match stick between the point and stock rail to provide somfe support.

before you completely trash an expensive switch, have another look to see if it can be salvaged. often, when you are in a calmer, less frustrated mood, you can find a way to fix things.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I agree with JerryB, a NMRA gauge is an invaluable tool to have when you are MRR.

Did I not read posts on this board previously that cited problems with Bachmann EZ turnouts picking points?
Keep Calm and Carry On

keesu

Hi, All

Well, I received another turnout in the mail today, hooked it up, and found no problem at all with it.  I scrutinized the daylights out of the other one and couldn't find a problem, but I've noticed that the locomotive runs much more smoothly and quietly than it did on the turnout I threw in the garbage.  Now to test the left turnout!

Thanks for all your help.

Keith

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Bachmann Turnouts tend to have quality control problems.  I too broke one of my turnouts trying to bend a point which did not quite sit flush with the stock rail.  Now I examine the rails before I take the turnout out of the package. Once I have determined that turnout is straight a light filing help son the stock rail side of the points.  I also do a light filing on the stock rail in some cases

keesu

Hi, Folks

Yes, I'm glad the new turnouts work, but I discovered an oddity in them.  When I took the turnout out of the package, I looked at the bottom side and noticed a tiny wire that wasn't connected, so I hooked it up, thinking that it needed to be.  I then noticed a message, cryptically written, that says the wire doesn't need to be connected for the switch to work.  When I connected the turnout, everything worked fine until I closed the switch and then reversed the train so that it went backwards through the turnout.  At this point, iy lost power, although it didn't do this if I reversed the train without closing the switch, that is, leaving it tripped. 

Not one to give up, I decided to unplug the little wire on the bottom of the turnout and see what would happen.  I ran the train in all directions with the switch in every possible position and experienced no loss of power.  I chose Bachmann track because as a novice, I wanted a minimum of effort to learn the basics, but I've discovered that trial and error is taking up too much of my time. 

Keith

keesu

Hi again, you guys

I think I'm just about ready to chuck this entire hobby as I've about had it with derailments, electrical problems, and general headaches.  It's not as if I'm trying to do anything complicated or create complex layouts.  For now, I've been happy just learning the basics of consists, DCC, and basic track configurations.  I have a simple loop with a couple of turnouts on the laminate floor in my living room, no bumps or rises, just basic stuff, and still I find nothing but problems.  As stated in a previous post, I decided to use EZ track so that I could concentrate on other issues.  

This evening, I took my Santa Fe locomotives out of their boxes and attached several El Capitan cars hoping to enjoy my new turnouts.  Joy quickly turned into another episode of frustration when the system wouldn't power up.   I heard a faint click, so I thought it was just a loose wire somewhere.  I tightened up all the connections but  to no avail.  I then decided to remove all the cars from the track and run only the locomotives, which worked fine.  I then started adding back the cars and found that one of them was causing the problem: a Walthers Baggage-Dorm Transition Car (932-9770).  Every time I put it on the track, the power shut down, and when I removed it, the power would restore itself or I could power it up from the controller.  I don't see how a car without lights or any other power feature could wreak such havoc, especially when none of the others did so.

They call this the world's greatest hobby, but I'm ready to find something less nerve-wracking.  I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with problems in a massive layout when this little trifle that I have has caused nothing but misery.  I'm truly considering placing everything on eBay and calling it quits.  It's just not fun any more.

Keith

mabloodhound

Don't give up Keith!
Are you sure your Walthers car doesn't have lights?   One of the trucks may have gotten rotated 180ยบ and be causing the short.   Try rotating it back the 180.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security