News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4/8 layout

Started by jward5969, July 23, 2013, 05:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward5969

what is the best radius for a 4x8 layout ? I would like to have two ovals. I can find any track plans like this and that has a crossover in it.

Jerrys HO

jtw

Running two ovals can be done but you will be very close on the sides. It has been discussed here before. 18r on the inside and 22r on the outside. It was suggested 15r but I would not go that route if you have large loco's you plan to run. I don't remember if a crossover was involved. I will try to locate that post for you.
If you go to anyrail.com you can download a free version of it to help design your layout. The free trial will only let you use up to 50 pieces unless you prefer to purchase the full version to help design your whole layout. It run's about $50.00.
Jerry

Jerrys HO

jt

Having troubles finding that post. Found the anyrail design that I did,but I am sure there was other's. Notice this is done on a 5x8 not 4x8.

Jerry

jward

you might want to look at the series of layout plan books atlas has out. there are many 4x8 designs in there.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

jtw, here is another site that has 4 x 8 layouts and what kind and how many tracks are needed.  This is just a sampling of some 4 x 8 plans.  If you go to "thorstrains.net" you will see some others.

http://www.thortrains.net/marx/kdlayhoa.html

Hope this helps!  Good luck with your layout!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,12474.0.html

And Photo Too, of Full Maxx's 4' x 8' with 22"R and 18"R ovals.  

Note 1: Jerry's drawing above uses 26"R and 22"R ovals, which is why it won't fit on a 4' x 8'.  

Note 2:  The Crossover's two main rail lines are not electrically isolated (separated) from one another.  

They work a lot easier with DCC, no mods needed.  

If used with (traditional analog) DC-Block Control

[for running 2 separate trains on 2 separate ovals with 2 separate power packs],

some rails and underside connection foils will need to be cut on the crossover.

Note 3:  Beware of undesirable "S" curves on Thor Trains layouts.  

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  Added Italics and 3rd note.

Edit: Corrected Jerry's name.    
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Joe, I don't understand why you say that running DC with these crossovers would need modifications to work properly.  You are not changing the direction of the loco when running it through the crossover and aren't most (at least the meant to run on DC) turnouts, insulated turnouts? 
Please explain your reasoning so I can understand, if you would not mind. 
Thank you Joe.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

on dc, you'd want the two loops isolated from each other. the ez track crossovers do not have gaps so you have to make your own. in addition, there are pcb connections on the underside of the crossover which must be cut. this was all explained on here a couple of years back. do a search and you'll probably find the thread.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Jeff, can't you just tell me why you would need them isolated on DC?  I don't see how the polarity on the rails is being changed, unless I am completely missing something.
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

you are missing something. on dc you need to be able to control your trains separately, by connecting different sections of track to different controllers. you do this by isolating sections of track, and connecting each section to a switch which allows it to connect to either of two (or more) controllers. that's block control. connecting the entire layout to just one power supply without the use of block control means everything on the rails responds to the controller, with no independent control.

even in its most primitive form, a dc layout running two trains on different loops would still need to have the loops isolated from each other for independent control.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Thank you both for getting back to me. 
Yes Jeff I understand about DC block control and how it works and have already said I have read up on it and planned on implementing at least 2 blocks it in my next layout, this was on a separate topic here.  You were posting on the same topic where I mentioned this, the one where the fella said he likes using Bachmann SD40-2s.
I have previously seen a great YouTube video on block wiring-a Canadian fella, running N scale.
And Joe thanks for the reference material, but I have what I need.  This included reviewing a previous posting here on the topic of block wiring, that you and Mr. Ward were a part of.  Mr. Ward seemed to disagree with a statement you had made Joe with regard to the common rail and reversing the direction switch on the respective power packs.

What I am not getting is why the above pictured layout would need to be blocked in order to run on DC? I did not see anyone mention wanting to run 2 trains independently, at the same time, during this current discussion.  I only see a question about having 2 ovals and possibly a cross over.
Am I still missing a reason to have to isolate the 2 loops in the above pictured layout?  I am not being wise, just trying to be sure I am not misunderstanding what is necessary and what is not, for what has been asked here.
Thank you gentlemen.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Thomas1911

The layout will work fine without isolating the inner and outer loops if you only want to run one train (or two trains, one on each loop) with one power pack.  They would need to be isolated if you want to control each loop/train with a dedicated power pack for independent control. 

jbrock27

PS Jeff

I would like to point out, that when I posted my question to Joe @ 9:08:08 PM, it was in response to his un edited posting, which I now see was modified somewhat since my question and yours and his responses.  Please see the editions for what Joe changed in his original post.  I point out, in his original post, where he also confused you for Jerry he did not include the italics with (for running 2 separate trains on 2 separate ovals with 2 separate power packs).  (What is up Joe with making the edits btw?)
It was based on Joe's original post, that I had asked my question about the need for blocking.
I can only guess, you pointed out I was missing something, based on your reviewing Joe's edited post, not his original one.
My original question still stands: if running the above pictured layout on DC and only running 1 train at once, off one power source, is it necessary to have the loops isolated?
Thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On