Bachmann's 2013 New Products Announcement

Started by PadreCraig, July 25, 2013, 05:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Perhaps if the On30 demographic grows a bit there will be more new products next year.....

GG1onFordsDTandI

Took me a while to even find it  http://www.bachmanntrains.net/Catalogs/2013/NMRA_2013.pdf
Not my first choice, even for a diesel but better than nothing! 

on30vince

I;m with you on the RGS #74 ridgeway spark arrester buttyerfly snow plow and all, would die for !Vince

Dusten Barefoot

I'm very disappointing there was no 8-18c 4-4-0 but I'm not complaining lol, but then again. I've gone to computer modeling.

Rock On!
Take Care
~Dusten

"Please disregard my comment above. I am now reading over it, and it sounds a little rude. I was actually trying to humors. I guess I was still lacking my coffee this morning."
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

SHABBONA_RR

Also, still no S scale 4-4-0 - Ah, well, there's always hope. I think S is the only scale Bachmann doesn't offer anything in, yet.

SHABBONA RR

PadreCraig

Yard Master - How can the On30 demographic grow if Bachmann doesn't drive the demand?  Who else is producing On30 trains?  If Bachmann doesn't produce it, where does that leave the On30 community?  You guys started strong and created the "On30 phenomenon" for all intents and purposes.  And then you all but abandon us who converted to On30 and began buying your products.  So where does that leave us now?

2foot6

Shabbona,here in Australia there appears to be very little interest in S guage,is there much interest these days in America? I don't hear much about it. I think it would be an interesting scale to model providing there is rolling stock available  cheers Peter.

Bucksco

Quote from: PadreCraig on September 05, 2013, 11:48:32 PM
Yard Master - How can the On30 demographic grow if Bachmann doesn't drive the demand?  Who else is producing On30 trains?  If Bachmann doesn't produce it, where does that leave the On30 community?  You guys started strong and created the "On30 phenomenon" for all intents and purposes.  And then you all but abandon us who converted to On30 and began buying your products.  So where does that leave us now?

When did Bachmann abandon the On30 market...did I miss something. Bachmann has produced many new On30 items over the last few years.There is plenty of product available out there for folks who are just starting out. All of the items that you guys consider old are brand new to the novice. Unfortunately the model railroad industry tends to be "New Product" driven. In other words we are not seeing new modelers just the demand for new items every year from a core group of enthusiasts that is getting smaller. We all need to make an effort to introduce the scale to new potential enthusiasts so that Bachmann can justify the investment in new items.

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 06, 2013, 08:22:59 AM
Quote from: PadreCraig on September 05, 2013, 11:48:32 PM

When did Bachmann abandon the On30 market...did I miss something. Bachmann has produced many new On30 items over the last few years.There is plenty of product available out there for folks who are just starting out. All of the items that you guys consider old are brand new to the novice. Unfortunately the model railroad industry tends to be "New Product" driven. In other words we are not seeing new modelers just the demand for new items every year from a core group of enthusiasts that is getting smaller. We all need to make an effort to introduce the scale to new potential enthusiasts so that Bachmann can justify the investment in new items.

I agree with you and certainly do not feel that Bachmann are 'giving up' on ON30. Indeed, as we've recently had two mallets and are now being offered a NG diesel it seems silly to suggest that they are.
But ON30, along with all the narrow-gauge scales, has a problem reaching the new modeller that O, HO, and N do not have - namely that narrow-gauge isn't familiar to the average person. No one can be unfamiliar with railroads or railways, albeit what they'll see is almost always modern-era equipment and operations. It follows that if you have a RR operating in your town it might spur an interest in modelling but if you''re a young person you'll likely want to model whatever you see running now or if you're an older person you'll likely want to model what you saw when you were a child.

What you're rather less likely to do is leap from having an 'entry-level' interest in modelling railroads to choosing to follow an obscure prototype (and all NG railroads are obscure!) that had mostly disappeared before 1945. 

I suggest that On30 in particular needs to be marketed at existing RR modellers who wish to downsize to something that is potentially more compact than standard gauge in HO or N while up-scaling to accommodate ageing eyesight. I'd also see merit in focusing more on surviving NG engines and stock simply because an engine still operating or preserved intact must be familiar to a far greater number of people than something long gone for scrap.

TimR

"I'd also see merit in focusing more on surviving NG engines and stock simply because an engine still operating or preserved intact must be familiar to a far greater number of people than something long gone for scrap."

Such as the K-28 and K-36 examples being used on the Durango & Silverton. Add in some of their passenger cars to that [shameless] wish list. I would buy several of each of those in On30 if Bachmann made them available.  :)

Joe Satnik

My $0.02

They should think of making the larger locos semi-scale (e.g., to Harold Minke's 1:55) so as not to be awkwardly over-wide compared to the track gauge.

If they must stick to 1:48 scale, then they should make the chassis easily convertible to On3. 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Royce Wilson

When will the new diesel be ready for purchase?

Royce

Stevelewis

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 10, 2013, 04:57:09 PM
Soon.

We wait  over  here  with  bated  breath!

I wonder  if  we  will get  stocks here  first  as  we  did  with   the  2-4-4-2?
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: Stevelewis on September 11, 2013, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: Yardmaster on September 10, 2013, 04:57:09 PM
Soon.

We wait  over  here  with  baited  breath!

I wonder  if  we  will get  stocks here  first  as  we  did  with   the  2-4-4-2?

It's 'bated breath'.
Unless you're fishing, in which case best of luck. ;D