News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Williams Locos Wanted

Started by prrhorseshoecurve, July 27, 2013, 12:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prrhorseshoecurve

Although the GP30 was a start and the former K-line Rs3 is coming out in November/December time frame, I hope that Williams will come out with the following popular locosin demand for O gauge:

• GE 44tonner SCALE
  • GE U33B/U36B
  • EMD Gp40-2 Phase II

Don't get me wrong but I hope in the near future that Williams will Scale out their existing toy fleet of locos as well.

Your thoughts anyone?

Srcjo

r0gruth

Seems that everybody makes "scale" stuff and it is getting hard to find models of the type and quality made by Williams by Bachmann.

There is enough detail to not look toy-like and they run well.

Some also want a command control system and I think that would be a nice optional add-on feature.

My opinion.

As for other types of locos;a Mikado or Consolidation that would be larger than the ten wheeler and smaller
than the Berkshire and Hudson.
A Diesel switcher of some type is needed.

The choice of roadnames is up to the company.They should know what sells.
Roger

Mister Lee

At the risk of annoying those hoping for yet another large six-axle road locomotive that requires O-72 curves, I'd like to put up my hand for a couple of smaller diesels that would appeal to high-rail modelers as well as those folks forced to make do with tight curves.

I would suggest a GE U-18B or a version of the Santa Fe (and subsequently many others) CF-7.

phillyreading

I'd like to see some GP series engines, from the GP-35 to the GP-60. How about in Pennsylvania based railroads; DL&W, Lehigh Valley, Reading Lines, Pennsylvania RR, or Reading & Northern.

Lee F.

prrhorseshoecurve

I believe Most of the EMD GP series Locomotives have been done... many in nausea multiples and released nearly the same time by other manufacturers/importers.

Only a few such as the Gp40-2 phase II, SD45-2, SD60M [3 payne window cabs] and modified Gp7/9's with chopped noses and modern cabs are left for the marketplace to invest and reap a return on investment.

GE's seem to be neglected with many popular models in the Universal series, Dash-7 series and Dash 8 series have never been made.

There are a few ALCo models left that manufacturers have yet to release... C415, C636 that come to mind.

phillyreading

If you want Williams to make an engine for one or two smaller runs of proto-type diesels it may never happen. Williams wants to recoup the costs of a production run!
One of the administators on the website mentioned that unpainted engines don't sell that good, this surprises me but he has the sales figuires and not me, so he knows what will sell.

Lee F.

stationmaster12

Keep God first in all that you do.

GG1onFordsDTandI

tsched

Quote from: Mister Lee on July 28, 2013, 10:04:18 AM
At the risk of annoying those hoping for yet another large six-axle road locomotive that requires O-72 curves, I'd like to put up my hand for a couple of smaller diesels that would appeal to high-rail modelers as well as those folks forced to make do with tight curves.

I would suggest a GE U-18B or a version of the Santa Fe (and subsequently many others) CF-7.

I'm with you.  Not enough room on my layout for the longer engines.  A new switcher model, a GP20 or RS11.  And do those odd-looking F7's really still sell?  

One thing I'd like to see corrected for all models is to stop using the barely-able-to-see headlight lamps.  The fun of an affordable locomotive is offset by these kinds of shortcuts.  And I have no intention of putting in my own, higher-voltage lamps or partaking in any of the extra work that is required for this.  One of the joys of a Williams locomotive is being able to run it almost immediately without any upgrades and without spending the next six hours reading the manual to learn about the high-tech sound system.

stationmaster12

I agree with you on that. I had a top of the line Railking train set that I eventually sold. Although very nice, I ust got tired of all of the sounds and added features that I did not use. I prefer simple affordable trains. WBB please keep it simple and affordable.  I hope that WBB does not do away completely with the tru blast 2. Or even offer an old fashioned horn. My concern is that the TB2 will be permanently replaced with the more expensive true blast plus. :)
Keep God first in all that you do.

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

WBB should do Plymouth Switchers, and Porter 0-4-0s, just like the ones that K-Line by Lionel produced

-JP
Sincerely: JP

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: stationmaster12 on August 19, 2013, 12:35:02 AM
Although very nice, I ust got tired of all of the sounds and added features that I did not use. I prefer simple affordable trains. WBB please keep it simple and affordable.  I hope that WBB does not do away completely with the tru blast 2. Or even offer an old fashioned horn. My concern is that the TB2 will be permanently replaced with the more expensive true blast plus. :)
I hope the Williams line remains true to simple "post war style" operation, once "simple" engines are no longer made, I will no longer buy. My only "sound" locos, came in good trades, or as gifts, spend most of the time turned off, and are more a risk liability, than value, for me. I would rather see the electronics effort spent in class & marker lighting.
I have been wanting to ad an On30 line, and have been prepping for a while. The latest release coming in that scale, a Whitcomb diesel switcher, has me debating over selling the track and power. Seems its only available "decked out", and is twice the price I expected to see on a simple engine like this, even with good sound and dcc. If that's any indication of Williams O,s future?.... simple, Ill be back to strictly PW "stuff" collecting. Limits my choices, but it'll be cheaper and more reliable.

"Plymouths and Porters"? Lots of them already. "Just like K-line" Why request something already available elsewhere unless the others are really, really, awful? And they aren't. Next thing you know you have so many GG1s, F7s, PM 1225s, or Big Boys, all by different brands, it saturates the market and goes away again. While I don't like the price and it wasn't on my wish list, I got to hand it to Bachmann on that On30 Whitcomb, I mean who makes Whitcombs? No one! So they will sell... :-\... to those who can afford it.   

M1FredQ

Just noticing and from talking to some of the "ear to the rail" types at the hobby shops I visit. Lionel has come out with some Conventional versions of Locomotives that were Legacy rigged originally. All the new tech-no stuff is great. There are programs coming out where you can run your trains from your I-Pad or Smart Phone.

If that brings more folks into the hobby GREAT !!! I always will appreciate what Neil Young did for all of us.

That aside as long as Conventional run locomotives have the basic engine rev sounds, horns and bells and whistles and maybe one or two vocals I think a lot of us will be happy.

I agree the lighting needs to be brighter on the locomotives and it can be done with LED's and wig-wag would be cool to. BUT I also think an on/off switch should be included because there are days you want to run the engines and not have all the noise. Especially at night when kids are getting ready for bed.

Just a thought!!!!!

dtpowell

To "Scale out" the "Semi-scale" Toy trains would be to eliminate a long standing and cherished product line. If you want "scale" head to Weaver, 3rd-rail, Atlas, Lionel Legacy or MTH Premier. Leave the Semi-scale alone!