News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Double Track

Started by WTierce1, July 29, 2013, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I am currently using 22" Radius Curves to make a large loop around my entire bedroom and would like to know what radius I would need to make it a double track loop and be able to use the crossovers that Bachmann sells. I could only find 26" radius as the next step up so I wasn't sure if that was what I would need so I figured ask because there are people out their that have done what I want to do.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

jonathan

wtierce,

I used 22" radius for my inner track and 24" radius for my outer track.  However, you need to spread the 24" radius a little wider so the trains won't bump when they meet on curves.  To accommodate this, I added a 1" piece of track in the middle of the 24" radius turnarounds, and I started the 22" radius curves about an inch before the 24" radius curves. Hope that makes sense in words.  By providing a bit more spacing between the curves, I can run passenger trains on the outer loop and freight on the inner loop, without the trains bumping each other when they meet.  

I believe the NMRA standards say there should be around 3" between track centers.  My tracks are closer than that, obviously, but I still get away with it.

Be aware, I can't run my large locos, like the EM-1 with this set up... too much overhang on that locomotive.  Space is a premium, so I had to fudge the standards a bit.  However, I can still run trains that I like for the most part.  The really big trains run at train shows with larger radii; 30" and 33".

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Regards,

Jonathan

WTierce1

My next question is would this work fine with EZ Track? I'm not concerned with the spacing but I measured the track to get an idea of what I was trying to do and can't wrap my head around it. I noticed that the radius is measured from the middle of the track and that the width of EZ track is 2". Would the 22" and 24" radius curves fit together perfectly or would they have to overlap to fit?

Joe Satnik

Dear wtierce,

Bachmann's Code 100  HO E-Z Track is not made in 24" Radius. 

Atlas makes Code 83 "True-Track" (#468) in 24"R.

If you placed them side by side, with both (the Bachmann or Atlas 22"R and Atlas 24"R) roadbeds being just under 2" width,

then, yes, they would nest pretty well with each other, perhaps with just a few mm of gap between them.

I interpret the NMRA S-8 recommendations chart for track center-line spacing from the 22" inner radius to be 2-5/16" for Class I rolling stock. 

22"R inner track + 2-5/16" = 24-5/16"R outer track

http://nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

I'm not sure why Atlas didn't make the curves a little bigger than 24"R, as they would have to have known about the NMRA recommendations..

Bachmann did the same (goof) with their 26"R and 28"R HO E-Z Track curves.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jerrys HO

wtierce,

Playing around with anyrail I came up with this if you are interested.

Outer is 26r and inner is 22r with a 3" straight in the middle.
You can add longer straights in the center to fit your room.

Jerry

Doneldon

wt-

You can use the principles described by jonathan whether you want to put a second mainline inside or outside of your existing loop. If the shape of your room, obstructions, etc., don't allow you to have an equal distance all around, you can put both crossovers on the same side of your layout or even use a double crossover. I'd try to put double crossovers on both sides as that would give the greatest operating flexibility and, I think, most interesting set up.

-- D

WTierce1

That is kind of what I want to do. I but I don't have the 3" straits but since I would have to get all of the track to do this, then I can get some while I am at it. Thanks so much!

Doneldon

wt-

You can cut custom lengths. That's usually less expensive than buying
special lengths, especially if you need more than a couple.
                                                                                        -- D

WTierce1

Well I am using EZ track so cutting isn't really an option but I will have to get a lot of track to actually be able to make the double track any way so it isn't that big of a deal.

andrewd

how I do it is I have 22 radius on the out side and 18 radius on the inside so if you have 18 radius and 22 radius curves do it that way

regards
andrewd

Jerrys HO

Quote from: andrewd on July 30, 2013, 03:51:18 PM
how I do it is I have 22 radius on the out side and 18 radius on the inside so if you have 18 radius and 22 radius curves do it that way

regards
andrewd

Depends on what you are running, and if I am not correct Mr. wtierce runs large loco's as well.
After all the reading I have done from other member's I have removed all my 18r and went 22 and larger.

wtierce,

QuoteWell I am using EZ track so cutting isn't really an option

EZ track can be cut to size. If you run into a section that needs to be a certain length and the size is not available, by all means as Doneldon stated it can be done.

I just picked up a great book I have never seen before
HO MODEL RAILROADING handbook 3rd edition by Robert Schleicher.
It has alot of Bachmann EZ track usage on his Burlington Route layout and he has very detailed information and shows even cutting an EZ track turnout in step by step detail.
A great book which covers every inch of Model Railroading. If you don't have it get one, if you have it you already know what I am talking about.

Jerry

WTierce1

You are Correct, I need 22" and Greater Radius curves but I really don't mind just getting some short pieces to fill in the gaps.

jward

Quote from: wtierce on July 30, 2013, 11:53:06 AM
Well I am using EZ track so cutting isn't really an option but I will have to get a lot of track to actually be able to make the double track any way so it isn't that big of a deal.

why isn't cutting an option?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Sometimes cutting goes well. Sometimes it doesn't.
You can get a package with small fitter pieces so that maybe you wouldn't have to do any cutting.
E-Z TrackĀ® Connector Track Assortment $12.00 Model: 44592
Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

wt-

To echo jward, "why isn't cutting an option?"

It's not hard. Get a Zona saw or something similar with extremely fine teeth and cut slowly through the rails. Then the plastic roadbed cuts very easily. A cutting wheel in a rotary tool, like a Dremel, will do the job in seconds. The only critical thing is cutting the rails straight across and straight up and down. Make space for your rail joiners and cut off the plastic clip on the adjacent track section, letting the rail joiners hold things together. Or, you can use a little glue on the plastic faces of the roadbed.

-- D