can I start a Williams in reverse

Started by lelandb124, July 29, 2013, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lelandb124

I have read the procedures for starting in neutral, and locking in forward.  Have 2 powered F-3's and would like one to start in reverse to run A-B-A.  Is there a simple solution, similar to the start in neutral mod?

phillyreading

The procedures might work for starting an engine in reverse, if you reverse an item or two, not sure.

If your Williams are new, don't do this or you will void the warrenty!

I have some older Williams F-7 AA engines that I wired up to a bridge rectifier(6 amp, 50 volt) instead of a circuit board and they work great now. Plenty of power and stay locked in the position that I want. REMEMBER no direction with a bridge rectifier.
To do so, remove the circuit board and install the bridge rectifier in it's place, make sure to connect the motor wires only to the bridge rectifier leads. The plus and minus lead go to the motor the other leads on the rectifier go to track power. If it runs the wrong direction reverse the plus & minus to the motor wires.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Leland,

To change the polarity of the two DC motors,

1.) Disconnect the front motor 4 pin plug from the reverser board, then swap the blue and yellow wire pins in the plug.

You can remove a pin by gently pressing its locking pin with a small flat screwdriver (or bent paper clip) in the pin's slot on the side of the plug,

then gently pulling on it's wire.

Edit: Add: Re-connect the front motor 4 pin plug to the reverser board. 

2.) Repeat for the rear motor 4 pin plug.  

Tip:  Write down (save) the order of the wire colors you want going into the plugs.  

e.g., "Start in Forward-- Blue, Black, Red, Yellow."

"Start in Reverse-- Yellow, Black, Red, Blue."  "Never move black or red."

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik  
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lelandb124

Thanks Joe, sounds like the type of answer I was looking for.
And easily reversible in the future, if I would want to sell it.

Joe Satnik

Dear Leland,

Hope it all works out for you.

Just a follow up, if you ever find the two Williams or WBB locos fighting each other,

it is usually because the separate reverse boards have gotten out of sync with each other. 

To get them back in sync, just hold down the "direction" button on your transformer for a few (5 ?) seconds. 

When you let go of the button, both locos should go in the same direction (lead unit forward, rear unit following). 

If it doesn't correct, hold the direction button down for a longer time. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lelandb124

Joe, thanks for the heads-up.
Had a chance to make the wire reversal this weekend, and it worked to perfection.
Appreciate all the good info.

Joe Satnik

Dear Leland,

Thanks for the kind words. 

Glad it all worked out for you.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

stubbsO

You could also just flip the wires at the solder lugs on the motor as well.

Joe Satnik

Dear Stubbs,

Yes, there are other ways to reverse the polarity to the DC motors. 

However, my soldering will look no where near factory stock soldering,

especially after doing the job twice.

(Once to get it to start in reverse, the second time to get it to start in forward again, to re-sell the loco.)

Also, the blue and yellow wires may not be the same length around the motor from the last tie wrap around the truck's wire bundle.   

I just know that I can pull and insert connector pins a lot cleaner than I can solder.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik