News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

cog railway

Started by andrewd, July 30, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Below is one page from a simple Google search. You can see the size of the cog. I downloaded #20 photo and expanded it some.

http://www.cog-railway.com/03chronological.htm

A close up of an old steamer.

Gives you an idea of the relationship between the cog and driver.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 03, 2013, 01:26:46 PM
Alternately, some cog roads might have a cog mechanism that's independent of the rail wheels, and if that's the case, you can use almost any diameter that's convenient.

Andrew and J3a-

This would be the easiest to do. Let the loco's own wheels freewheel so they can turn at any rate the gear moves along. This would make the loco unusable on non-cog track but that's not really an issue since the gear teeth are below the railhead and would cause trouble at every crossing or turnout anyway.

-- D

andrewd

actually I think I'm goanna need to build an engine from scratch from the ground up so I have to go to an expert on model trains and we will build an engine and try it on some rack rail we may also do together so sorry you couldn't help me with my plan but I do need 1 more thing can anyone post a picture of a model engine that look really close  to the engines at mount Washington  and try and keep steam cause that's the type of engine I like

Jerrys HO

andrewd

Gosh I am going to hate myself for this but this is one of those times it's necessary.
Richg your gonna love it! ;D

Andrew instead of having us find what YOU like, how about YOU doing a google search and finding one YOU like.

Yea I hate myself for that.

Jerry

andrewd

the reason I ask you guys for help is because you guys are like brothers to me and I know you guys can help me in my quest to build "my railway to the moon" and I know you wont let me down so can you just try and find it please I need to follow something as a guide

richg

Quote from: andrewd on August 04, 2013, 08:25:18 AM
the reason I ask you guys for help is because you guys are like brothers to me and I know you guys can help me in my quest to build "my railway to the moon" and I know you wont let me down so can you just try and find it please I need to follow something as a guide

You have to realize this is a project for an advance modeler. If you need to be led by the hand, it will be a real challenge.
Modelers who do projects like this have a lot of experience and might not publish anything.
Projects were done similar to this before the Internet ever came around. The modeler had very little to rely on and had to figure this out himself. As an example, many years ago I saw some fantastic structures made out of card stock and strip wood. The modeler used his imagination and only had pictures in paper publications to go on. There was a lot of trial and error. Many are never aware of all the mistakes made when doing a project like this. They only see the finished project.
Try a Google search using, make ho scale cog railway
Vary the words and as you do more searching, you will develop a knack for searching. Store all links in Favorites or Bookmarks, depending on your Browser.

Rich

andrewd

sorry but none of those pictures were helpful in showing the design of the steamers or diesels even though I only wanted steam  now then does any body have any tips for me for when I get started

Pops

I thought if you started with one of those photos, followed where it came from, they might have info for you.  Then if not, try the next one, etc.  You'll probably have to do SOME research.  Another "lead" may be to contact the Cog Railway (in New Hampshire) itself.  They may be able to help a lot.  Their gift shop may even have a poster of what you want.

J3a-614

In model railroading, we must always have some sort of compromise, simply because you might not be able to totally reduce the real world to scale (think of attempting coal-fired live steam models in HO, with working air brakes to boot).  

Needless to say, some compromises can be more acceptable than others (electric motors and miniature speakers in steam locomotives, and other types as well).

In this case, you have some very serious challenges.  The most obvious one is that you have to scratch build this thing.  Complicating this is that the engines of this railroad are quite small (making even small motors a tight fit, along with shafts and gears as appropriate), and the driving mechanism is quite unusual, too.  You also sound like someone relatively new in the hobby.  That's good, but be forewarned, the learning curve for something like this is going to be steeper than Jacob's Ladder on the Mount Washington Cog. . .

The question then becomes, "Which compromises are acceptable?"  The range could include:

Building a large scale model, from scratch, live steam, up some hill in your area

Building an HO model, from scratch, with micro motors, home-make Marsh rack, home-cut gears, home-cast parts such as wheels, or at least making patterns to take to a casting firm, etc.

Building an HO model, from scratch, but cheating a bit, such as making the locomotive oversize to accommodate the motor, or even a dummy locomotive pulled up a hill by a powered car (much larger than the locomotive, easier to hide the motor in it), using commercially available gears and rack.

Other compromises for operations, such as the proposal to operate this as an incline, again with what amounts to a dummy locomotive

Modifying a commercial model, even one that might be an electric locomotive prototype, to what you can use, even if it might be oversized.

Just using a commercial model as a stand-in

Just give up on the job (not a good option, not a desirable one,  but just to cover all of them. . .)

Pay to have someone build it for you (How fat is your wallet?)

The question then becomes, which compromise, or set of compromises, is best for you?  Which is best for you now, vs. which might be best for you some time in the future?  

OK, where to start. . .I haven't had too much luck on cog railroad construction articles as such, but did find another source of commercial cog railroad models, based on European narrow-gauge prototypes.  This firm's line includes engines reminiscent of those once operated by the Pikes Peak Railroad in Colorado:

http://shop.ferro-train.com/FerrotrainShop/Category/100004/3.aspx

Be forewarned, this stuff is a bit pricey (locomotives are over 200 Euros, a turnout is 60 Euros), but it is commercially available, and most cog railroads weren't that extensive, most didn't have huge rosters of hundreds of locomotives like a Class I.

I'll try to get back with ideas on how to build one of these things, but keep in mind, they will be largely theoretical; I've scratched up parts such as cabs, and assembled some very challenging kits, but have never scratchbuilt a locomotive.  While I might suggest something logical, you must realize I don't have the actual experience at it.  Still, I hope whatever I say may be of some use.

In the meantime, we have some people in Great Britain discussing the construction of a cog railway--rack railroad to them, referring to the toothed center rail, or rack--including comments on what is commercially available, and working with various mechanisms to make something else.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37630-swiss-mountain-railways/page-5

We'll close out for now with this vintage article from Popular Mechanics in 1961, revealing one modeler's approach.  It's actually an adhesion model, and the compromises and errors have to be seen to be believed, but it's also a glimpse of how things sometimes had to be done in the "good old days."

http://books.google.com/books?id=i98DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA190&dq=pikes+peak+model+railroad&hl=en&sa=X&ei=laQAUs7aFdWz4AOT94GoCg&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pikes%20peak%20model%20railroad&f=false

Jhanecker2

To Pops :  Awesome amount of info J2.
To 13a-614 :  Great article;  the gentleman who did that work was a really good machinist & model  builder.  It brought back memories going through that issue  looking at was available at that time .  I still like film cameras better than digital though I own both types .  I even have one of those Polaroid cameras  in my collection . Thanks for the Memories.  J2

andrewd

man you guys are confusing me on what to do about this I think I will have to forget about my idea of building my railway to the moon it is just goanna not work so sorry but I'm quitting on my plan

Jerrys HO

Quote from: andrewd on August 08, 2013, 04:36:07 PM
man you guys are confusing me on what to do about this I think I will have to forget about my idea of building my railway to the moon it is just goanna not work so sorry but I'm quitting on my plan

That's the problem with young modelers today. If it's not prefabbed they just give up.
Although  your plans of building one was great and would have loved to see your attempt and progress, I guess we will never get to see your true talent that lies within you.

You have had some very good information given to you with pictures I might add.
Good luck with your lego's on your battle train.

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 08, 2013, 04:56:10 PM
That's the problem with young modelers today. If it's not prefabbed they just give up.

Jerry-

There are problems at the other end of the model railroader spectrum as well. Lots of long-time hobbyists are noticing that model parts are getting progressively smaller, so they are harder to see, and our fingers are getting larger making it more and more difficult to handle those little parts even when we can see them. Woe is us.

-- D

andrewd

actually the project is back on but I'm goanna need loads of plans and luck so I already have an idea for my custom engine first a rough version out or cardboard then follow it when it's time for the real deal I am goanna practice my idea on my old engine also I need you guys to track down the name of all the engine except for pepersauce so 2 trough 10 can I trust you guys to pull this off cause I don't have enough time   to track them all down so I trust you guys to do this little task for me and add which name goes to which engine and can you track down the numbers to have the number of each steamer next to the name for that engine