News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-19 prototype question

Started by bob kaplan, July 25, 2013, 01:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

The black unlettered C-19 model has a long diagonal bar or pipe exiting the cab and running down the right side of the boiler, ending up underneath the smokebox attached to a lever.   This is not found on the red, white, black version of the engine.  Was wondering what the function of this might be on the prototype and why it is on one engine and not the other.   Thanks muchly.

mudhen

I don't know if C-19's in question did snow removal with the rotary snow plow, I would think they used any engines available, but if it did. Maybe the pipe in question was used to preheat the tender water when snow was added if they got low on water and it was too far to go back and refill the tender.
Just a thought.

bob kaplan

hummmmm.....don't think that is it...Extends from cab to underneath the smoke box.   Would their have been a mechanism for controlling draft in the smokebox??  i think it looks more like a rod than a pipe....any thoughts?
  Thank you.

Kevin Strong

I'm 95% positive that's the control rod for the cylinder cocks. The vertical lever pivots on the frame then opens the cocks on the bottom of the cylinders. On most locos, the rod that controls this lever runs parallel to the boiler, typically just above or below the running boards. It appears the D&RGW took the direct route with this control.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

That sounds rational....thanks Kevin.  Now i just have to learn the functions of the other 4,278 parts!  ;D

Kevin Strong

346 was basking in the sun today at the museum, so I was able to confirm my suspicions. The cylinder cocks are on the inside of the cylinders, near the bottom but high enough to where they won't be knocked off by rocks. On the same track was former Georgetown Loop #40, an outside-frame 2-8-0 similar to the "Connie." It, too, has a similar cylinder cock lever at the front, but its control rod runs under the running board and enters the cab near the floor.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

ahhhh....persistent.  Thank you Kevin!