Williams SCALE GG1's... have they been discontinued???

Started by alltrains, August 12, 2013, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alltrains

Hi,

I've noticed that the Williams by Bachmann SCALE GG's are no longer listed on the website.

Have they been discontinued?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik

Dear AT,

You might still be able to find some NOS on dealer's shelves. 

Google: "Bachmann 41801" or "Williams 41801", "Williams GG1", Williams GG-1", etc. 

to find dealers with stock.

41801  PRR  Tuscan 1 Stripe
41803  PRR  Silver 1 Stripe
41805  PRR  Green 1 Stripe
41806  PRR  Green 5 Stripe
41807  PRR  Tuscan 5 Stripe (my preference)
41808  PC    Black
41809  CR    Blue with White Can Opener
41810  PRR  Green Abbreviated 5 Stripe

Reference: 2010 Williams by Bachmann (print) Catalog, pg. 35

41812  CR    Bicentennial Red/Blue/White

Reference: E-bay.

(Pre-Bachmann) Williams Electric Trains:

GG-100  PRR  Tuscan 1 Stripe
GG-101  PRR  Black 5 Stripe
GG-102  PRR Silver 1 Stripe
GG-103  Amtrak  Silver/Red
GG-104  PRR Green 1 Stripe
GG-105  PRR Green 5 Stripe
GG-106  PRR Tuscan 5 Stripe
GG-107  PC   Black
GG-108  CR   Blue with White Can Opener
GG-109  PRR  Green 5 Stripe Abbreviated
GG-110  PRR Web Stripes (Green?)

Reference:  Williams E. T. "Contemporary Line" (now WBB "Traditional Line") Winter 2003 - 2004 Catalog, pg. 10.   

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear AT,

There are 8 different WBB Scale GG-1s on-line at Mario's Trains.

Only the Bicentennial is missing. 

Good hunting.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

alltrains

Thanks for the info on the Williams GG1's.

Yes, I understand that several dealers may still have certain model paint schemes available (I prefer the Tuscan 5-Stripe as well).

However, are the Williams SCALE GG1's being permanently discontinued?

As you can see, they are no longer listed on the Williams by Bachmann website:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=491_524&zenid=cjjf9ar8u99hhbgvln0cqk1ju3

And neither is there any mention of the SCALE GG1's in the 2013 Williams by Bachmann catalog:

http://bachmanntrains.net/Catalogs/2013/2013_Williams.pdf

Thanks for any information you might have.

GG1onFordsDTandI

My guess is yes, for at least a while. The market is so full of scale GGs from various makers. As long as they are readily available on the shelves, I think skipping at least a few years is likely in Bachmanns best interest. I saw it coming, too many releases, too many companies, too close together, but I honestly thought we would lose the semi-scale first.
Oh whahell, it was great while it lasted.

M1FredQ

Check out TRAINWORLD they have a big closeout sale going on the the full scale GG-1's.

Just a thought if the center of the  big driver GG-1 wheels "articulated "just a bit to accommodate lets Say-O-42 I think they would be better received.

I have 2 of the semi's and would like if they were 2/3's as the semi's look too short. Not to mention they don't match well with the Williams Congressional Passenger cars unless you go with a 0-27 (if they made Congressional O-27 I don't know.)

I was able to find a set of Williams Congressionals in the original boxes un-opened along with that "mildew" smell. There was some corrosion on the bottom of the Vista Dome car but some good gun-cleaner took care of that.

I didn't realize the high quality of Williams products until I started back in this hobby 4 years ago.

Anyway just my $0.02. After reading articles about the GG-1 its development and service record I was hooked. Also my favorite picture is of a Tuscan Red 5 stripe GG-1 pulling Congressional Passenger Cars over a famous stone bridge at Dawn on a clear blue sky day. That's what got me hooked to have those passenger cars and that Tuscan Red!!!!!!

alltrains

M1FredQ,

Unfortunately, Trainworld isn't offering the GG1 in a paint scheme that's on my wish list.

I wish Bachmann would offer the scale  GG1 shells as a separate purchase.  That way one could acquire various paint schemes if your budget only allowed for a couple of engines.

I wish Bachmann would comment whether the scale GG1 is permanently discontinued, or not.

TrainmanGene

I think they'll bring them back soon possibly with a sound unit. I hope they make the as bulit scheme also known as web stripe but I won't count on it since it probably wasn't a good seller.
Remember there still cataloging the semi scale GG1 and everyone and there cousin is also making them.
Sueme Valley System