News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steam traction tires??

Started by Albert in N, August 17, 2013, 05:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

These seem to have been out of stock for a very long time.  The only traction tires available from the parts department are for Bachmann diesels (the ones requiring tires).  Any idea of when parts will again have steamer traction tires?  My Prairie needs them now and my Northern could use new ones soon.  Makes you wonder what will happen when the owners of the newer high-dollar Bachmann steamers need new traction tires.

skipgear

I've never seen TT for the 0-6-0/2-6-2 or the 4-8-4 Northern available seprate.

The whole TT axle for the 0-6-0 is only $2.50.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_78&products_id=312

A complete driver set for the 4-8-4 is $10

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_119&products_id=365

I think you can probably use TT from a Kato GS4 for the Northern if you would like but I don't think they will be much cheaper when you add in shipping.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Albert in N

Thanks, Tony!  On the 2-6-2 Prairie, I will first try stretching traction tires for the GP-40/ F-9 series, since I have extras on hand.  Otherwise, will do as you suggested next parts order to Bachmann.  For the record, the old white-box 4-8-4 Santa Fe Northern included a parts diagram showing stock number 9869 for a traction tire.  That is why I figured tires were available without replacing the whole wheel set.  Removing body shells and side rods to replace tires appears doable, but switching out wheelsets appears harder.  I still recall the time that I fixed a MiniTrix 4-6-2 K-4 back in the 1970s.  I thought that I never would get the gears aligned properly.  I eventually did fix it, but recall saying something to the effect that I would never tear down N scale steam again.  Yeah, I was much younger then!

bobwrgt

I just received a new Light Mountain. One of the traction tires was stretched out and kept falling off. Finally  lost it. Called Bachmann and they had none.
I took some clear silicon on the tip of a hobby knife and filled the groove with it. Running the engine upside down to make sure it had no humps.
Let it dry 24 hrs and it has been working like a charm. Might add a coating of Bullfrog Snot later.