News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My thoughts on the hobby.

Started by stationmaster12, August 24, 2013, 05:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwalker

Fred
It is a Flashing Rear End Device.(F.R.E.D.) its the light on the end car of the train instead of the Caboose. The ones I have seen most of them do not flash and sometimes do not work.
Thanks
Wyatt

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rbryce1

FRED stands for "Flashing Rear End Device", or also, Flashing Red End Device.  It is a flashing red light that can be installed on practically any rolling stock to identify the end of a train. 

Since the advent of air brakes, brakemen were no longer necessary on railroads, and thus the caboose was no longer needed to house them.  FRED provided a far more versatile means of identifying the end of a train than a caboose.

I understand the "F" in  FRED had a different connotation to the unemployed brakemen though!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: M1FredQ on August 29, 2013, 10:15:18 PM
Dom

What's a car with a FRED?????

F.R.E.D-Flashing Red Emitting Device attaches to the coupler on the trailing car of a train as a warning device for any following trains. Look for them when you dont see a caboose.   

M1FredQ

Thanks everyone!!!

My other son Freddy loved it!!!!!

TrainmanGene

A Fred is the Flashing rear end devise on the rear of a train also known as a ETD End of train devise which replaced the Caboose.
Sueme Valley System

M1FredQ

Railroad exec friend of our family told us Cabooses may be making a comeback.

I don't have many details and he said he is not at liberty to openly talk about it YET!!!!!