Baldwin Steam Loco 4-6-0, 10 Wheeler N Scale DCC Equip: Slipping on track.

Started by richville, August 29, 2013, 07:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richville

I received my loco (above) on 21 August 2013. For the first week it ran great, pulling 6 Coal Hoppers & a caboose around the track which has a 3 degree incline in one section. Then it started slipping on the track incline so much it could only pull 4 hoppers with a lot of slipping. My question is:
Are the wheels coated during manufacture with some substance that gives better traction, then wears off after some time of operation?
If this is the case, how can I now reinstate or improve the traction?
As things now stand, the little Loco is not much use on my layout. The Diesels I have pull 12 hoppers with ease.
Thanking you in appreciation,
Richard

GG1onFordsDTandI

No traction coating Ive heard of. More likely some lube has migrated to the wheels and/or track. Time for a cleaning?
I use alcohol for removal of lubes, keeping it off everything painted. Others will chime in on their favorites. No simple greenie stuff, petrol, etc. They eat plastics. There's a paint on traction tire called bullfrog snot.. ???.Yep, bullfrog snot. But it doesn't come on new engines, and most don't need it. 

James in FL

Hi richville,

Have a close look at your forward most drivers and check to see that you haven't thrown one or both of your traction tires.
If they are still in place, cradle the lokie upside down and power it with some test leads or similar wires. Then clean with a Q-tip, wetted, not dripping, with isopropyl alcohol on each spinning wheel.
Clean the tender wheels the same way except you will have to spin them with one finger while holding the Q-tip with the other hand.
While you're at it, clean all your rolling stock wheels as well.
When that's done, wipe down your entire track using the alcohol on a lint free rag.

Be careful with the alcohol, it will remove paint if it comes in contact with your shells.

Good Luck

richville

Thanks for your response James in FL. I have checked the forward drive wheels and note there are no Traction Tires or any sign of them being there previously. I do see that there are groves on these wheels. What do I do now?

James in FL

Well... if you can't find the ones that came off of it then a call to Bachmann may be in order.
Parts Manager 215-533-1600 ext. 330 Mon. – Fri. from 9 to 4 EST.

I do not know the driver diameter of your 4-6-0.

It may be a long shot but you might try either Model Power or Kato tires if Bachmann cannot supply.

bobwrgt

If you can't find tires for it. I had a Light Mountain that kept loosing one of the tires. Bachmann had none. So i took a very small amount of clear silicon on the tip of a hobby knife and filled the groove. Run the loco upside down and smooth it out. Let dry 24 hours.  Worked like a charm.

Albert in N

See my August 17, 2013 post on steam traction tires.  I share your frustration.  In the early days of N scale (1970s), traction tires were commonly available.   Most diesel locomotives no longer use traction tires, but many steam locomotives still require them. 

Mark.S+10

Kato Mikado traction tires will work fine if Bachmann doesn't have any.  The Kato part number is: 810000 and they cost $3.00 for a package of 10 traction tires.

Have fun, Mark