News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turmouts

Started by jarosz, August 30, 2013, 09:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarosz

just started back in the hobby after being away nigh 30 years. I took a liking toward the E-Z Track Systems, (remember I'm just beginning), my question concern the turnouts, How do I make the 'northbound' track open when I open the 'southbound' tracks, don't know if I'm saying this right

BIG BEAR

Jarosz,
    Welcome back to "the worlds greatest hobby".
I think you might try hooking both turn outs to the same switch.
This will throw both at the same time if that is what you wanted.
Enjoy,
   Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Bob_B

Maybe have a look at cross-overs if I'm reading this right.
Saves money and time for parallel tracks.

Doneldon

Jarosz-

If by opening the north track and the south track you mean changing the direction of your trains, there are several options. One is to merely reverse the position of the direction switch on your power pack. If you mean you want to turn your whole train around so it's going the opposite direction, you can either run your trains in an oval with curves on each end so your train travels back to the other end of the layout, or you can use a loop which you enter and exit so your train changes direction. In each case, your train will return to its point of origin. Most loops run along different sides of your layout but you can curve the tracks back close together so they resemble a double-track section. With the balloon loops and a switch, you'll have to wire your layout so you can reverse polarity without causing a short circuit. I won't go into that now because I am unsure of just what your question is asking but someone else on here or I will explain how to do it if you tell us that's what you're wondering about. The last alternative is to run DCC which will allow you to "drive" your locomotives rather than the rails they run on. You'll still need some special wiring for the balloon reverse but it will be easier than with DC.

Welcome back to the hobby. I predict you'll amazed by how many great new products are available now compared to 30 years ago. You'll have a learning period to get up to modern speed, but be patient with yourself; you'll be railroading like an experienced engineer in no time.

-- D