News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO DCC trains

Started by 8stargazer, September 10, 2013, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8stargazer

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for your input, and secondly, I'm glad that I found this forum.  I've always had a love for trains but am just now really getting into the hobby.  I had set up a few sets for my sons when they were kids but never had the time or space to set up a really good layout.  As I indicated from my first post, I'm going to set up a small layout (thank goodness for EZ track!), get a good feel for DCC, then expand to a larger layout.

I have been doing some research on EZ Command as well as Dynamis and it seems to be a 50/50 from what I've found.  The one thing about EZ Command I've discovered is that the entry level controller won't utilize all of the functions that many locomotives are equipped with.  I've also considered building an 'ala carte' set as well, but that can in itself be a pricey initial investment.  I think I'm going to give the Dymanis set a try.  I believe Donaldon mentioned the total cost of $265 via 'thefavoritespot'   I already had that set on my watch list on eBay.  I compared the Bachmann Digital Commander that has 2 diesels (which I"ll eventually go with - especially the blue/yellow Santa Fe), Walther's set (didn't like the sound coming from the controller) and finally the Dynamis.  Even though it's priced a bit higher, it seems well worth it to me.  The Baldwin steam loco is sound equipped, the turn-out is dcc coded, and even though the rolling stock might not be top quality, it is a beginning point.  I figure the 56"x38" layout with the turn-out and the sound equipped dcc engine is well worth the $265. 

I have a small area in my home office that I can set this up to learn how to use it.  With the space I have for the time being, I'll be able to expand to 65", add a passing siding down one side, and purchase a diesel locomotive to give two trains at one time a whirl.  I know it's a modest layout but it's a start. 

Once again, I thank each and everyone of you for your advice/input.  The beauty of model railroading is there are many ways to build it and learn as you go.  Unfortunately some of the learning gets into the pocketbook but I don't think I'd go wrong with either the EZ Command or the Dynamis.   I just feel that for just a few more dollars, the Dynamis has more bang for the buck on the initial investment.  My long term goal is to convert an 8x12 store room in the backyard to the 'train room'  I'll insulate, drywall, and put in a heat/air window unit for me and my little grandson to escape to.  At best I'd run no more than 3-4 trains on that.

I'll be around often, probably with more questions.  This is a great site to find for sure!

Thanks again to all of you

jward

i think you have the right idea with regards to dcc. it is better to have something and not use it, than to want it and not have it. especially if getting it means you have to replace the entire dcc system.

like you I did my research on a dcc system long before I got anything, and went for what gave me the biggest bang for the buck. while my system is not dynamis (I don't believe it was out yet) I've had no reason to regret my choice. as my knowledge of dcc has grown, my choice had the capabilities toexplore what I was interested in.

those santa fe warbonnets are beautiful. even though I model eastern lines, I have to have at leat one santa fe on the layout. they are available for under $50 at the favourite spot.

it is my understanding that the dynamis set comes with silver series freight cars. those are the same high quality ones sold indivifually, and differ from what is in the regular sets by being properly weighted and having metal wheels. I like them a lot. they run well right out of the box.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bob_B

Quote from: rbryce1 on September 11, 2013, 09:12:48 AM
.....  I tried using the Bachmann 5 amp booster  and it would not work with the Dynamis and Pro Box combination, only with the EZ Command units, even though Bachmann's literature said it would. ....

I now have an NCE SuperCab controller with 2 NCE 5 amp boosters running the permanent layout, ....

I find this to be a worry because if I do expand my Dynamis with a Bachmann booster I may also have problems.
I've also been thinking of going down the NCE route as an alternative and may do as you did and run two independent tracks and get the best of both worlds as I love my Dynamis controller.

jward

it would be nice if you could mix and match components from different systems the way you can use anybody's decoders on any dcc system. for example, to use a radio throttle from say digitrax on an nce system. every system out there has its pros and cons. but once you choose a system you are pretty much stuck with it. that's why you have to do your research to see what not only fits your current and anticipated needs, but also has room to grow if your needs change. there is nothing worse than having a substantial investment in a system, then have to scrap it and buy something else because there is no upgrade path.

with dcc systems in particular, they frown on mention of other makes. so I can't elaborate on what I chose and why I chose it. but that future upgradability was one of the major factors for me. certain manufacturers (not Bachmann) had a history of coming out with new systems which were not backward compatable with their previous products.

one other thing that contributed to my decision was the number of available addresses. I've run on other people's layouts where the address of the locomotive had nothing to do with the actual locomotive number. this added confusion especially for visitors, as you had to remember which address belonged to which locomotive. with dynamis and most other dcc systems this will not be a problem as you can use the locomotive number as your address.

one final bit of advice, and I may be getting a little ahead of the curve here, is to buy a composition book and record the settings for each locomotive you own. this is especially true if you reset the cv,s for start voltage, acceletation, etc. if you every have to reset the decoder you will lose this info, so it is good to know what you had programmed in.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bob_B

Quote from: jward on September 13, 2013, 08:15:23 AM

.... buy a composition book and record the settings for each locomotive you own. this is especially true if you reset the cv,s for start voltage, acceletation, etc. if you every have to reset the decoder you will lose this info, so it is good to know what you had programmed in.

This is one unfortunate limitation with the basic Dynamis system. You can't read CV's until you upgrade to the Pro system so it it even more important to follow your advice and record any changes as they occur.

rogertra

Keep in mind that Bachmann DCC systems are entry level systems.  Good for what they do but they are entry level.

Bob_B

Quote from: rogertra on September 13, 2013, 11:12:49 PM
Keep in mind that Bachmann DCC systems are entry level systems.  Good for what they do but they are entry level.

I guess my point was that there are other entry level systems that do allow the reading of CV's out of the box.
Having said that it's not a deal breaker for most people.

Bucksco

I don't consider the Dynamis to be an entry level system. EZ command is an entry level system.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 14, 2013, 10:01:04 AM
I don't consider the Dynamis to be an entry level system. EZ command is an entry level system.

I stand corrected.  Must admit I was going by what a friend who had Dynamis told me.  But he's happy with his Dynamis which he upgraded from EZ Command.  :)

I've only ever used NCE because, as you know, I have a larger model railroad.