News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My "retro" HO-scale layout!

Started by wiley209, September 14, 2013, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

youwill find the magic mates will only stay coupled when they are under tension. if the slack runs in on your train they uncouple. if you are running double headed locomotive4s, and the leader hits a dead spot they uncouple. they were a nice concept that didn't work out under real life3 conditions. conversion cars are much more reliable.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wiley209

Quote from: jward on October 08, 2013, 09:24:21 PM
youwill find the magic mates will only stay coupled when they are under tension. if the slack runs in on your train they uncouple. if you are running double headed locomotive4s, and the leader hits a dead spot they uncouple. they were a nice concept that didn't work out under real life3 conditions. conversion cars are much more reliable.

Yeah, the pack only came with eight such couplers, and that might be all I am using. At least they fit well on those Mehano-made locomotives! Their horn-hook couplers were at an unusual height...

jbrock27

I agree it is better to go with a conversion car that has a knuckle coupler at one end.  With all the different style couplers that are available now, center, overset, underset, plus the draft gear box shims and fiber washers that are available, it is a piece of cake to get knuckle couplers at the proper height.
Keep Calm and Carry On

8stargazer

Wiley,

Have you posted a video of this layout on Youtube?  I'm certain I watched one not too long ago that looks exactly like this.  Either way a nice job!   

wiley209

Been a while, but here's a few updates!

Life-Like coaling tower building kit. Once I get the materials and know-how I may weather some of these buildings.

Life-Like Proto 1000 Santa Fe F3A locomotive. It does have some nice details, even wipers on the locomotive windshield! (For those unfamiliar, Proto 1000 was the mid-range point between Life-Like's lower-end locomotives and cars, and their high-end Proto 2000 line, and was introduced in 1999.)

Bachmann Plasticville pedestrian bridge! I got this as a Christmas present. (I also got the classic Bachmann "Action Depot," but currently have no place to set it up on the layout...)

Walthers Trainline Santa Fe "Bluebonnet" GP9M diesel locomotive. It has a nice flywheel motor and all-wheel driver, and though it's Walther's lowest (non- Life-Like) product line it is meant more to compete with Athearn, Mantua, and Bachmann's Silver Series product lines. (It does use E-Z Mate couplers.)

Current layout overview.

This year my brother and I might move out of our parents' house and get our own place. Size permitting, I might make a whole new layout to go with it; it would have new (improved) landscaping and a new track plan, along with possibly being DCC, but I will also reuse the existing locomotives, rolling stock, buildings and action accessories, etc.

jbrock27

Thanks for the new pics!  It's nice to see you picked up 2 nice locos-the Trainline and the Proto 1000.
I would say the Trainline is very similar to Bachmann blue box diesel analog models but not competition with Athearn.  I would also put the Proto 1000s in competition with current B-mann offerings.
Keep Calm and Carry On

wiley209

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 16, 2014, 10:55:24 PM
Thanks for the new pics!  It's nice to see you picked up 2 nice locos-the Trainline and the Proto 1000.
I would say the Trainline is very similar to Bachmann blue box diesel analog models but not competition with Athearn.  I would also put the Proto 1000s in competition with current B-mann offerings.

Yeah, in most cases I don't run any of those "pancake motor" locomotives on my layout, and if I do get one it's usually for collectible purposes, like my vintage Bachmann Union Pacific GP40. (Interesting how Bachmann's locomotives pretty much evolved from the cheap Tyco-like units to nicer mid-range -style units, even if many of them are based off those 1970s and 1980s locomotive prototypes!)

jbrock27

A good idea-who needs the headache of poor running locos >:(
Agree, as you had stated before, during that time period, B'mann and TYCO were neck and neck competing for consumer $$.  And now who is left standing, the B'mann!!  Only the strong survive!
Keep Calm and Carry On

wiley209

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: wiley209 on January 23, 2014, 11:01:38 PM
Here is a video I shot of some of the layout in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ws7mH6AiY4

Cool! Your operating accessories still work!  :)